Scheduled Package Errors

• Hi all,

Is there a way to seen meaninfull error message after a scheduled package completes.

Like the errors you see when run from EM?

I can't make sense of the job "view History"

Thanks

• Can you post the error message of the job history?

If you run the dts package outside a job, does you still have errors?

• u can find out in MS SQL Server 2000, by making package log execution to the server option true in the package properties and then quering the sysdtspackages, sysdtssteplog and sysdtspackagelog tables. If u see the tables u will be able top trap the extact error and populate ur custom Error log table

• You can also get DTS to log all output to a log file - you choose the path. While the package is open, right click and go properties - it's on one of the resulting tabs.

By default, DTS adds to this file each time you run the package. There is a script which you can get from http://www.sqldts.com (free) which you can run at the start of the package to remove any old log files.

. . Greg

Greg M Lucas
    "Your mind is like a parachute, it has to be open to work" - Frank Zappa

• One caveat to logging information to a file. Make sure each package that runs at the same time logs to a different file name. The packages can "Blowup" trying to access the same file. Spent a few hours trying to nail down this problem.

Bruce Szabo, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCSD

Bruce Szabo, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCSD

• Don't forget at the top of the "View job History" dialog, there is a checkbox to view the step details. I always miss that one. If you turn it on, it gives slightly better information.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply