Scheduling data extraction to excel

• This works for me, Ahmad - c:\CambridgePubs.xls is created - and Excel isn't installed on the server.

Either there's a mistake in your sp, there's a problem with the driver (or the declaration of it) or there's a security issue here?

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Hi Chris...I've used the same code that I showed.Well....I've to figure out the problem ..wish me luck πŸ™‚

do u have any solution...

Regards,
    [font="Verdana"]Sqlfrenzy[/font]

• Good luck, Ahmad!

To be honest, this isn't how I write to Excel using SQL Server, as I mentioned earlier. I use TSQL to copy/rename an Excel template, then server linking to edit it. There's no particular reason for choosing this over the other methods.

Here's the code to copy the template...

-- Make a new file from the template

DECLARE @Today VARCHAR(10),

@OldFile VARCHAR(100),

@NewFile VARCHAR(100),

@CMD VARCHAR (1000),

@return_status int

SET @Today = REPLACE(CONVERT(VARCHAR(10), GETDATE(), 102), '.', '')

SET @OldFile = '\\ixnuflawLRS1\D$\SLA Reporting\Templates\SLA_DashboardTemplate.xls'

SET @NewFile = '\\ixnuflawLRS1\D$\SLA Reporting\' + 'SLA_Dashboard' + @Today + '.xls'

SET @CMD = 'COPY "' + @OldFile + '" "' + @NewFile + '"'

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#Output') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #Output

CREATE TABLE #Output (CopyResult VARCHAR(500))

INSERT INTO #Output EXEC MASTER..XP_CMDSHELL @CMD

IF (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM #Output WHERE CopyResult = ' 1 file(s) copied.') = 0

BEGIN

RAISERROR ('Template file WAS NOT copied.',0,1) WITH NOWAIT

RETURN

END

Here's the sp for creating the server link...

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[CreateExcelLinkedServer]

@ServerName VARCHAR(30),

@TabName VARCHAR(30),

@xlsFileName VARCHAR(100)

AS

DECLARE @Retval int, @MsgString VARCHAR(400)

SET NOCOUNT ON

-- If the link already exists, then drop it first...

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#Worksheets') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #Worksheets1

CREATE TABLE #Worksheets1 (srvname varchar(20), providerstring VARCHAR(50))

INSERT INTO #Worksheets1

EXEC('SELECT srvname, providerstring FROM master.dbo.sysservers WHERE srvname = ''' + @ServerName + ''' AND providerstring = ''Excel 8.0;''')

IF (SELECT COUNT(srvname) FROM #Worksheets1 WHERE srvname = @ServerName) > 0

EXEC sp_dropserver @ServerName, 'droplogins'

DROP TABLE #Worksheets1

-- Attempt to create the link...

EXEC sp_addlinkedserver @ServerName,

@srvproduct = '',

@provider = 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0',

@datasrc = @xlsFileName,

@provstr = 'Excel 8.0;'

EXEC sp_addlinkedsrvlogin @ServerName, 'false'

-- Validate the linked server by checking that the tab is available...

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#Worksheets') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #Worksheets

CREATE TABLE #Worksheets (TABLE_CAT varchar(20), TABLE_SCHEM VARCHAR(20), TABLE_NAME VARCHAR(20), TABLE_TYPE VARCHAR(20), REMARKS VARCHAR(20))

INSERT INTO #Worksheets

EXEC sp_tables_ex @ServerName

IF (SELECT COUNT(TABLE_NAME) FROM #Worksheets WHERE TABLE_NAME = @TabName) = 0

BEGIN

SET @MsgString = 'Tab [' + @TabName + '] or Excel file [' + @xlsFileName + '] not found, linked server [' + @ServerName + '] not created.'

SET @Retval = 1

END

ELSE

BEGIN

SET @MsgString = 'Linked server [' + @ServerName + '] created, with tab [' + @TabName + '].'

SET @Retval = 0

END

RAISERROR (@MsgString, 0, 1) WITH NOWAIT

RETURN @Retval

GO

Here's an example of calling the sp:

EXECUTE @return_status = dbo.CreateExcelLinkedServer 'SLA_Dashboard', 'Results$', @NewFile

Here's an example of updating the spreadsheet:

UPDATE [SLA_Dashboard]...[Results$]

SET D = @month6, E = @month5, F = @month4, G = @month3, H = @month2, I = @month1

WHERE [A] = '2.7'

Here's a more interesting example:

UPDATE cl SET Vendor_Code = hv.Lawson_Vendor

FROM [SUPPLIERS_CLEV]...[Sheet1$] cl

INNER JOIN Staging_HospitalVendors hv (NOLOCK)

ON hv.ACCNT_REFNO = cl.Supplier_Refno AND LEFT(hv.Hospital_Code, 2) = cl.[Hosp_Code]

WHERE Vendor_Code is null AND hv.Lawson_Vendor IS NOT NULL -- 659

Finally, I don't have an example to hand right now, but you can use the content of one spreadsheet to update another.

Cheers

ChrisM

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Just my 2 cents... I'm always pretty much amazed at such requests... I do one of two things in most cases where someone "has to have it" in an Excel file...

I make a CSV file and write a spreadsheet macro to import it... macro is an auto-run macro so when the user opens it, it runs...

... or I write a view in the database and have the spreadsheet do an external datasource query with an auto update on load and then once every couple of minutes depending on what the customer's needs are.

What I really like about the second method is I never have a user calling me up saying "the data is a couple hours old and we need fresh data for a special analysis... could you run the aggregation code for me now?"

It makes it so I don't have to schedule anything, respond to early run calls, don't have to worry about making formatting changes because someone doesn't like a particular shade of blue, and I don't have to worry about giving anyone access to yet another disk repository. If they want a copy of the data to save each week, they can do that wherever they have access and I don't have to worry about it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (3/18/2008)

Just my 2 cents... I'm always pretty much amazed at such requests... I do one of two things in most cases where someone "has to have it" in an Excel file...

I make a CSV file and write a spreadsheet macro to import it... macro is an auto-run macro so when the user opens it, it runs...

... or I write a view in the database and have the spreadsheet do an external datasource query with an auto update on load and then once every couple of minutes depending on what the customer's needs are.

What I really like about the second method is I never have a user calling me up saying "the data is a couple hours old and we need fresh data for a special analysis... could you run the aggregation code for me now?"

It makes it so I don't have to schedule anything, respond to early run calls, don't have to worry about making formatting changes because someone doesn't like a particular shade of blue, and I don't have to worry about giving anyone access to yet another disk repository. If they want a copy of the data to save each week, they can do that wherever they have access and I don't have to worry about it.

Color me lazy. [font="Arial Black"]<snooty_moment>Sorry, I dont DO excel macros </snooty_moment>[/font]

When I get a request to "get it in excel"....I give them a CSV. Since the "default handler" for CSV is Excel after they install it, it launches directly into Excel. Anything fancier than that comes in through a database query into Excel (open Excel sheet, and Excel goes and GETS the data).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• It comes down to using a tool you feel comfortable with to do the job really doesn't it?

Jeff, you like playing with macros in Excel - I used to love playing with macros in Supercalc5 so I know where you're coming from.

Matt -

When I get a request to "get it in excel"....I give them a CSV. Since the "default handler" for CSV is Excel after they install it, it launches directly into Excel.

- no question, this is the "best" way for a simple unformatted report.

But...if you have an sp which copies a template file to a working file, and another which turns a tab/worksheet of that file into a virtual table so you can read/write as if it's just another sql server table - well, why bother writing a new macro every time you get a new report request? Just write the query, which you will have to write anyway...'cos (except for 'simple unformatted report') you've already preformatted an Excel file...

Oookaaaay I'm lazy.

• Chris Morris (3/18/2008)

It comes down to using a tool you feel comfortable with to do the job really doesn't it?

Jeff, you like playing with macros in Excel - I used to love playing with macros in Supercalc5 so I know where you're coming from.

Matt -

When I get a request to "get it in excel"....I give them a CSV. Since the "default handler" for CSV is Excel after they install it, it launches directly into Excel.

- no question, this is the "best" way for a simple unformatted report.

But...if you have an sp which copies a template file to a working file, and another which turns a tab/worksheet of that file into a virtual table so you can read/write as if it's just another sql server table - well, why bother writing a new macro every time you get a new report request? Just write the query, which you will have to write anyway...'cos (except for 'simple unformatted report') you've already preformatted an Excel file...

Oookaaaay I'm lazy.

I guess it's one of those "many ways to skin a cat": I would just open up excel in a "pre-defined template" like you mentioned, use Data, New database query... and then e-mail the excel file to whoever needs it.

Or - use SSRS.

Not knocking your method. Like I said - I don't "do" Excel macros, and have no intention of figuring out why they crash (like, say - due to "unsafe behavior", or macro security being to high, or AV killing macros, or a brain dead day while in macro-land, etc...). Especially not with a high-distribution spreadsheet.

Another method we've used (while we're on the topic): create it in HTML/ASP/ASPX, and change the HTTP headers to the Application:Ms-Excel content type. You have formatting, and you have a way to "publish it to the world". Send the link out, and they all get prompted for open/save. We actually already have a template for this in ASP, all we have to do is pass it a view, table or SP name....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Chris Morris (3/18/2008)

Jeff, you like playing with macros in Excel

Heh... no I don't... I hate the darned things... That's why I like the second of my two methods the best. πŸ˜›

I agree with Matt and you... writing Excel macros get's me all tangled up in my coffee IV. But, every once in a while, the guy in the corner office comes over to my desk, blocks my wait out (he's threating to put a lid on my cube πŸ˜€ ), and says "I know you're the only one here that really knows how to do this right and I need this done or I'm taking YOU out for porkchops..."

His slingshot is a lot bigger than mine... catch my drift? πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Hi All,

That's gr8..We now have 4 ways to schedule the data extraction :-

1) DTS

2) Stored Procedure

3) Macros linked with Views

Will you guys help me to identify pros and cons of each of the method.

I think that the last one is the best(Macro linked with views).

πŸ™‚

Regards,

Ahmad

Regards,

• Hi Ahmad

Your original question arises so frequently that it it would be worth answering your last question in a formal manner, as a permanent reference. But for now, as I see it we now have the following options

1. DTS

2. Reporting services

make a CSV file

make a CSV file and write a spreadsheet macro to import it... macro is an auto-run macro so when the user opens it, it runs...

write a view in the database and have the spreadsheet do an external datasource query with an auto update on load

6. Stored procs

a) Creating Excel spreadsheets via ADODB

b) Manipulating Excel data via a linked server

c) Manipulating Excel data using OPENDATASOURCE and OPENROWSET functions

d) Creating Excel spreadsheets using sp_MakeWebTask

e) OLE Automation

create it in HTML/ASP/ASPX

In the last year I've used the following;

methods 1 and 3 quite a bit, they've been dead useful for passing data around between groups of people involved in a migration project. Less good for end-users because the output is somewhat "raw". Conclusion: quick and dirty.

6b extensively to UPDATE existing spreadsheets with server data based on data already contained within the spreadsheet, and also to write server data to an existing Excel template.

Advantages - very quick (once you have the components in place). Pretty enough for end-users. Powerful - can update or populate a single cell. Disadvantages - updating a single cell requires that row and column coordinates are available, sometimes requiring a data tab separate to the display tab.

• Thanks chris.. y dont u write an article for the same....:)

Regards,

• Ahmad Osama (3/19/2008)

Thanks chris.. y dont u write an article for the same....:)

You're welcome, Ahmad. Hope it helps. I'm sure people will chip in with their expertise in the areas uncovered so far. Why don't I write an article? Because I'm a very very small fish, and this is a very big pond!

• Karel Walda (3/13/2008)

My guess / suggestion would be DTS Package;

Do you have any logic to support your answer :hehe:

Regards,

• Jeff Moden (3/18/2008)

His slingshot is a lot bigger than mine... catch my drift? πŸ˜›

LOL! Oh yes! πŸ˜€

• Ahmad Osama (3/19/2008)

Hi All,

I think that the last one is the best(Macro linked with views).

πŸ™‚

Regards,

Ahmad

How are you getting on with this, Ahmad? It would be interesting to hear which method you finally chose and how you fared with it πŸ˜€

Cheers

ChrisM

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply