Scheduling DTS job started failing

• One of my programmers created a SQL 2000 DTS job and it was running fine. A couple weeks ago it began to fail. The programmer took a look at it and nothing has changed. He is able to run the package manually and it runs fine. I can also run it manually and it runs fine. I have scheduled it using my user ID and it fails, I have tried his user ID and it fails, It is normally run as SA being the owner. We get the following error when it is scheduled to run. Can anyone please point me in the right direction to resolve this failure?

Executed as user: domain\account. ...ecuting... DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_1 DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_1 DTSRun OnStart: Copy Data from Wellness_credit$ to [Wellpoints_test].[dbo].[WellpointsImportPS] Step DTSRun OnError: Copy Data from Wellness_credit$ to [Wellpoints_test].[dbo].[WellpointsImportPS] Step, Error = -2147221005 (800401F3) Error string: Invalid class string Error source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package Help file: sqldts80.hlp Help context: 700 Error Detail Records: Error: -2147221005 (800401F3); Provider Error: 0 (0) Error string: Invalid class string Error source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package Help file: sqldts80.hlp Help context: 700 Error: -2147221005 (800401F3); Provider Error: 0 (0) Error string: Invalid class string Error source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package Help f. The step failed.

Thanks,

• If it runs when you run manually, but not as a job, then it is highly probably that it is due to privilege problems. There have been similar questions in this forum before and after your post ... search it and you should be able to find some info ...

• Michael,

Enable package logging in the DTS package and look at the log after the package fails next time. You'll get much better messages than you get from the job history.

Greg

Greg

• your programmer or another person saved the package when he/she closed it. that changes the ID of the DTS Package so when the job runs, it tries to execute a package ID that no longer exists.

Do this:

R-click and schedule the package.

open the newly scheduled package job and copy the DTS string from the job step.

paste that into the job where it was running in the place of the old DTS string.

delete the newly scheduled job since you got what you needed from it.

Now the old job will run without error. If it doesn't the package is corrupt and you need to recreate it. Schedule it as suggested above.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply