Schema Compare tools - recommendations for mid-size IT shop?

• Following an upgrade to SQL Server 2012, our shop's Schema Compare tool (Redgate SQL Compare) is no longer supporting our environment.

We are starting to evaluate various 3rd party products to find a possible replacement, and would be interested in what products are favored by other IT shops who do a lot of database work.

Our shop is split about 75% SQL Server, 20% Oracle, and 5% I'll call other. Ideally a product would support SQL Server and Oracle, but our focus is on SQL server right now. On that platform we have ~50 servers spread across Dev\UAT\Prod environments.

In basic terms, we need a tool that can identify schema differences between DBs and generate synchronization scripts to support deploys between environments. Real-time synchronization is not a requirement (nor desirable), as deploys are a gated DBA function in our shop.

Any tips or traps to suggest on products in the marketplace?

Regards

• redgate version 8 doesn't connect to 2012, but the updated versions of Schema Compare 11 handles 2012 and 2014 just fine; i'd look to see if your license includes upgrades, or just buy an upgrade license if needed.

that way you can stick to familiar tools and processes.

At my job we recently went throough the same thing...version 8 on premises, but we started adding the latest and greatest SQL, adn needed to upgrade our tools.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Compare is a maturing technology and there are choices. That being said, I think RG is the best, and the most mature. SQL Compare certainly works with 2012/2014 (2016 work ongoing now), but you need a version released after those versions. The same thing with other tools.

Disclosure: I work for Redgate.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply