Script task question

• How do i debug a Script task...I need to know the values in the variables...Is it possible to step through???

• Of course. Set breakpoints and run interactively in BIDS.

Debugging a Script Component is not so easy ...

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• If I remember correctly SQL 2005 SSIS won't let you step through the script. I seem to remember using MSGBOX a lot..

CEWII

• Elliott Whitlow (7/13/2011)

If I remember correctly SQL 2005 SSIS won't let you step through the script. I seem to remember using MSGBOX a lot..

CEWII

You do not remember correctly - it works in SSIS 2005:-)

But there was a bug (I think) - if you've got multiple script tasks chained together and you're trying to debug one of the later scripts, breakpoints are sometimes just ignored. I can't remember the exact circumstances.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (7/13/2011)

Elliott Whitlow (7/13/2011)

If I remember correctly SQL 2005 SSIS won't let you step through the script. I seem to remember using MSGBOX a lot..

CEWII

You do not remember correctly - it works in SSIS 2005:-)

But there was a bug (I think) - if you've got multiple script tasks chained together and you're trying to debug one of the later scripts, breakpoints are sometimes just ignored. I can't remember the exact circumstances.

Then I stand corrected, its been a while for me with SSIS 2005. I have spent significantly more time with SSIS 2008 and a wee bit with 2011.

CEWII

• BIDS 2005 requires you to run the entire package to be able to debug using breakpoints on a script task. If you try to just execute the script task by itself, the breakpoints are ignored.

• Phil Parkin (7/13/2011)

Of course. Set breakpoints and run interactively in BIDS.

Debugging a Script Component is not so easy ...

To expand: take a look at the Locals window and the Watch window (if you added a watch to a variable).

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply