Script to close the excel file

• I have an agent job which runs everyday and it often fails because the excel file (source) is open. I have a user who leaves the file open when he/she leaves. Now I am thinking about adding another step into my ssis package which will save the file, close the file so the job doesn't fail. Does anyone have a script I can use or someone can help me with a script? I don't even know where to begin from.

"He who learns for the sake of haughtiness, dies ignorant. He who learns only to talk, rather than to act, dies a hyprocite. He who learns for the mere sake of debating, dies irreligious. He who learns only to accumulate wealth, dies an atheist. And he who learns for the sake of action, dies a mystic."[/i]

• I don't know where to start with trying to close another user's Excel app.  Even if you tried some dark sysadmin magic to close the process remotely, it's probably going to be stuck at a dialog asking whether she wants to save it.

Can you put the Excel file in a folder where the other user does not have write permissions, so they have to open in in shared read-only mode?

Can you add some kind of watchdog timer function to the spreadsheet so it will auto-close after a period of inactivity?

The only other alternative I can think of is to have increasingly severe consequences for somebody leaving critical resources locked up when they leave for the day, until the behavior is changed.

• There should be some way to copy the file even with the "busy" flag on.  Then open the copy, not the original.

That is, the logic becomes:
    check for "busy" flag on
    if on,
        copy file, open file copy
    if off
        open original file as planned

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• Hmm.... don't give them access directly the exported file.  Either email the results to them or copy the file over after creating it with a date stamp.

• Scott Coleman - Tuesday, March 12, 2019 12:20 PM

I don't know where to start with trying to close another user's Excel app.  Even if you tried some dark sysadmin magic to close the process remotely, it's probably going to be stuck at a dialog asking whether she wants to save it.

Hmm... you might be able to, if you had full access to their system to run a process that would kill all the excels they have open.

• i would lean more towards copying the file as a new name, with name featuring the timestamp to the millisecond, and manipulate that.
    also, i would use an isolated copy, and not one that was accessible to other uses or even DBA's, if this is going to be processed with SSIS.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply