Script when database backup fails

• Hello,

I would like to have a script , that sends a mail to the dba mail box when the database backup fails . The mail should be sent to the SMTP server.

I have the script which gives the whole output of the backup status but I would like it to change so that it fires only when a backup fails. Please suggest me what to do..

select

bmf.physical_device_name,

RIGHT(bmf.physical_device_name, CHARINDEX('\', REVERSE(bmf.physical_device_name))-1) as physical_device_file,

bs.database_name,

bs.backup_start_date,

bs.backup_finish_date,

bs.type,

bs.first_lsn,

bs.last_lsn,

bs.checkpoint_lsn,

bs.database_backup_lsn

into #backup

from

msdb.dbo.backupset bs,

msdb.dbo.backupmediafamily bmf

where bmf.media_set_id = bs.media_set_id

and bs.backup_finish_date is not null

AND bs.type = 'D'

AND bs.backup_start_date = (select max(backup_start_date) from msdb.dbo.backupset WHERE type = bs.type and database_name = bs.database_name)

order by bs.database_name, bs.backup_start_date asc

select @message = @message + char(13) + Char(13) + 'Backup Status' + Char(13)

DECLARE GetBackup CURSOR FOR

select database_name, backup_finish_date from #backup order by database_name

OPEN GetBackup

FETCH NEXT FROM GetBackup INTO @dbname, @Status

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

select @message = @message + @dbname + ' backup up on ' + @Status + Char(13)

FETCH NEXT FROM GetBackup INTO @dbname, @Status

END

Close GetBackup

Deallocate GetBackup

drop table #backup

print @message

EXEC master.dbo.xp_smtp_sendmail

@FROM = N'testsql2000@is.depaul.edu',

@TO = N'dvaddi@depaul.edu',

@server = N'smtp.depaul.edu',

@subject = N'Status of sqlserver!',

@type = N'text/html',

@message = @message

Thanks

• Hello -

Maybe I misunderstand the issue, and I have made the assumption that the backup is a scheduled job, why not query the sysjobhistory or similar?

-- Cory

• For that matter, why not just have SQL Server Agent notify you when the job fails?  See "Notifications" in the job properties.

Greg

Greg

• But for the sqlserver agent to be used, I need to set up the sqlmail which requires the exchange on the server which has some problems. So I have been using the SMTP server.

Thanks

• There is an article that describes how to send email messages without using SQL Mail.  Refer to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312839&sd=tech.

I utilize a version of the stored procedure given in the above article.  You can search the web and find other similar articles.  I have my backup jobs set up to notify the DBAs when the backup step fails.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply