Scripted Deployment and Setup?

• SSRS 2008.

I have created a full CI (Continuous Integration) environment to build-out some SQL Server-based stuff. Right now I manually install and configure the SSRS envrionment, manually create data sources, manually create folder structures, and manually install reports. From then on, newly-built reports deployed in my Visual Studio build overwrite the existing ones fine.

Using SSRS management tools/scripts, I would like to:

Re-apply the base SSRS configuration each time in case it was messed-with by a developer.

Create folder report structures.

Drop named data sources if they already exist and then install them in particular locations.

Drop reports if they exist and install them in particular locations.

I think this is pretty hard, so maybe I am overthinking this, all comments appreciated.

Thanks.

• I'm not sure about the first item you mentioned "Re-apply the base SSRS configuration each time in case it was messed-with by a developer", but....

RSBuild is an open source SSRS deployment utility that I have found to work quite reliably. Google it, you'll find it on CodePlex. It is really meant as a deployment tool for RDLs and data sources, but maybe you could re-work it to do some of the cleanup operations you mentioned above.

I use it to deploy a number of folders, reports, and data sources to a SSRS instance. It has overwrite parameters for the datasources, I chose to turn them that off as we do not put the credentials in the deployment script(s) for security reasons.

Chris

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply