Searching for misspelled keywords.

• Hi,

I'm using SQL queries with LIKE operator to search for keyword(s) in a

VARCHAR field of a table. This works fine for basic search but now I want my

web application to search for not only specified terms but also suggest user

for alternate spellings incase of any misspellings, just like Google. e.g. If

I enter 'Pakstan' it should search for this keyword as well as suggest the

correct word 'Pakistan' or any other word as it also appear in MS Word when

there is a spelling mistake.

I know there is Full-Text Catalog in SQL Server but it doesn't suggest

alternate spellings or misspellings, does it? Is there any off the shelf

component I can download? I donโ€™t have to build and check this manually, do I?

Any suggestions/responses will be highly appreciated. Or should I be

looking/posting at some other forum for this issue. MSDN comes first thing in

my mind for solutions ๐Ÿ™‚

• yes, Full Text indexing has a thesaurus ; so if you searched for "camero", that's a synonym for "chevy"

you can do the same for expected misspellings of your search terms, just like you are thinking.

I would guess a lot of your time will be spent coming up with misspelled variations to add;

this will probably point you in the right direction.

Thesaurus Configuration

How to: Edit a Thesaurus File (Full-Text Search)

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply