Securing a Table in a Access Database Replica

• Hi Folks,

Maybe you can help.  I've been banging my head for two days on a security problem.  I have a replicated (direct synchronization) database that I need to enable security on one table (a password table).  Is there a way to encrypt that data in the table?  I know you can encrypt the database but I am just looking to encrypt this table.

• Short Answer: Table level encryption is not an Access feature.

• You can kind of “encrypt” records if you open design mode in the table and change input mask to “password”. Then your records will be shown with wild cards. If you want to “decrypt” records just remove mask from the column and records become readable. Remember it will work only for text data type.

Hope it will help you.

• Thanks for the responses.  The password mask was already there.  I was looking to encrypt the column in the table in case someone got into the backend.  However, there is not such option so I found an alternative.  I'm hiding the tables for now.  However, I would love to know a way to keep someone from turning on Tools/Options/Show Hidden Objects without having to enable user level security.  That would be the ultimate solution.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply