Security: Connecting remotely to analysis services vis SSMS

• Hi,

I'm new to SSAS.... I am trying to remotely connect to SSRS via SSMS.

I have changed my windows login to be an administrator on the server. I have also added the windows user to SSAS on the machine.

I'm also getting an error when I try and connect to a cube stored in SSAS in Excel. The error is .... An error was encountered in the transport layer

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

Thanks

I get the following error:-

===================================

Cannot connect to

Authentication failed. (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient)

------------------------------

Program Location:

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.Authenticate(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo, DateTime startTime)

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.OpenTcpConnection(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo)

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.Connect(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo, Boolean beginSession)

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.XmlaClientProvider.Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.IXmlaClientProviderEx.ConnectXmla()

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.ConnectToXMLA(Boolean createSession, Boolean isHTTP)

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.Open()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ObjectExplorer.ValidateConnection(UIConnectionInfo ci, IServerType server)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.ConnectionDlg.Connector.ConnectionThreadUser()

The logon attempt failed (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient)

------------------------------

Program Location:

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.NTAuthentication.GetOutgoingBlob(Byte[] incomingBlob, Boolean& handshakeComplete)

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.Authenticate(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo, DateTime startTime)

Peter Gadsby
    Business Intelligence Consultant
    www.hgconsult.co.uk

• re: the excel connectivity, one thing to make sure of is to have the same service pack level on the client as is installed on the server.

re: the SSMS issue, is that a typo? you mention both SSRS and SSAS, are you having problems with one, both???

Steve.

• Hi Steve,

Thanks for that, yes that is a typo, only haveing problems with SSAS...

With regards to Excel, strangely when I select OLAP cube option in Excel 2003 I can connect to the cube, but when I use one of the other connection options (the one that BOL tells you to use) it doesn't work!

The main problem, really is that I can't connect SSMS to SSAS remotely. However when I RDP onto another machine with the same credentials and then connect to SSAS via SSMS it works fine!!! So I'm assuming it's some kind of configuration issue with my PC.

The PC is running SQL Server 2005 Developer edition, could that be why?

Pete

Peter Gadsby
    www.hgconsult.co.uk

• Dev edition should be no problem (it's basically Enterprise but without the license to run it in PROD). I would check the SP level of the local install (client) and the server, make sure they're the same.

And this client, it's on/in the same domain as the server (and the other clients you RDP to)??

Steve.

• Hi,

Yes they are on the same domain, and the PC and servers are on the same SP level.

Pete

Peter Gadsby
    www.hgconsult.co.uk

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply