security in access

• This may not be the place, but I created a small MS Access database and secured the database using the security wizard. The database is on the server. It all works well from my pc, the place where I ran the security wizard, but if I go to another machine and bring up access, it does not ask for a password. Is there something I have to do on the server to get it so everyone on every machine has to ask for a password? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

William H. Hoover

Louisville, Ky

sweeper_bill@yahoo.com

William H. Hoover
    Louisville, Ky
    sweeper_bill@yahoo.com

• Investigate removing permissions from any public user, then using the Access Workgroup file to control permissions. Just a warning, it can get very complicated.

• If others can get into it, it sounds as if you created the database under the system mdw. If so, you will never completely secure it, because Admin, the user under which is was created, will have irrevocable rights to the database.

As jpipes pointed out, all permissions have to be removed from user because the Admin can't be removed from that group, and that is the user with which most Access dbs are accessed.

You must first create a new mdw. Change your mdw from system to the one you created. Add a new admin user, then close the db and reopen as the new admin user. Once reopened, remove the admin user from the admins group. Create the database under that user.

You should now find that no one can open the database unless their mdw file is set to the new mdw or they have a shortcut with an /wrkgrp extension (the preferred method). In either case, they will need a valid name and password.

Security in access is difficult, and in some ways very different from SQL security. We have made some very secure applications, however, so the results are worth it.

Good luck!

Edited by - RonKyle on 07/25/2003 11:17:27 AM

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply