Security permissions & granting user’s permission

• Hi Guys/Gals

I am new to DBA role pls help me with this

A developer asked me to give him permission to create DB in our local development server. But our company policy is not give permission.

I know how to create a new DB using GUI (Microsoft SQL server management studio SQL-SERVER 2005) but i donno

1) How to give users rights/permissions

2) Create a new user

3) Create Group policy and attach users to it

basically i need to know more abt security features in SQL-SERVER 2005 using GUI (Microsoft SQL server management studio)

I searched the web i didn't get any basic step by step instructions at all.

Cheers

• Hi

a- Open Sql server management studio,then Go to Security,then go to logins, here u will see all logins, right click on the selected login and go on properties now u have option for Server Roles ,UserMapping,Securable" at left side of user window.

2) Create a new user

a-Open Sql server management studio,then Go to Security,then go to logins then right click on it and create a new user.When the new window open for creating new user then "Server Roles ,UserMapping,Securable " u can see at left side of new user window.

Thanks

• sqlcool (12/7/2008)

A developer asked me to give him permission to create DB in our local development server. But our company policy is not give permission.

2) Create a new user

3) Create Group policy and attach users to it

First, let me say that if company policy prohibits giving him permission, don't give him permissions. Doing otherwise will get you in a LOT of trouble (possibly even fired, depending on your company's disciplinary policies). Explain the situation to him, then tell him if he really needs a new database to install SQL Dev Edition on his PC and work from there.

Secondly, if this is an actual case of needing a new DB, he can always write the T-SQL script and then you could run it yourself. We do that a lot in my workplace. Once, of course, we establish the need to actually create the database. And we save the T-SQL script in Visual SourceSafe so we can move the db into different environments.

Books Online is a great reference for all the above questions. Search the index using the following terms "Create User statement", "Grant statement", "granting permissions [SQL Server]", "permissions [SQL Server]", and "schemas [SQL Server]". All of these should give you a good how-to on security.

Lastly, I recommend picking up a SQL Server Administrator's cert book. Not for you to take the exam, but because usually the cert books have excellent explanations of how security in SQL Server works (the whole "why it's done this way" concept) which tells you the logic behind the commands.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Opps. Forgot to mention. SQL Server doesn't have Group Policy. That's an Active Directory thing. Completely unrelated. However, you can assign permissions to mapped AD Group logins which almost amounts to the same thing.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply