SELECT

• Hugo Kornelis (10/5/2012)

kyliedude (10/5/2012)

Give me my point!

If points are that important for you, you can have one of mine. Heck, you can have all of mine. Last time I checked, the grocery still didn't accept my points as payment, and I also still haven't seen any job ads where SQLServerCentral points are a job requirement.

Or, put differently: "loosen up, people!"

+1,000,000

Hugo thanks for putting these "points" in proper perspective.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• sam.dahl (10/4/2012)

I recognised the attempt to insert null and hence picked 2,0 because that's what the two select statements return: 2 and 0. It's the insert statement that fails.

The question is about what the select statements return.

Both select statements run, one returns 2 rows, the other returns 0.

there's an error in the middle because of the insert, but the selects return values.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

kyliedude (10/5/2012)

Give me my point!

If points are that important for you, you can have one of mine. Heck, you can have all of mine. Last time I checked, the grocery still didn't accept my points as payment, and I also still haven't seen any job ads where SQLServerCentral points are a job requirement.

Sorry to go off topic...

I was talking with a company recently about doing a moonlighting gig and I asked if the SSC points accumulation and percentage would give me the upperhand over someone else. The DBA laughed so hard he was in tears.

• But the Explination dose not even support the question. I don't mind getting stuff wrong if I lean something from it but I do not appricate being told I'm wrong when the answer and explination do not support the question and I learn only the the person submitting the question did not even try it to see the result.

• The wording of the question was "how many rows are returned from the SELECT statements" . . . I maintain that 2,0 is the correct answer since it's the INSERT statement that fails, not the SELECT statement.

• bitbucket-25253 (10/5/2012)

Hugo Kornelis (10/5/2012)

kyliedude (10/5/2012)

Give me my point!

+1,000,000

Hugo thanks for putting these "points" in proper perspective.

I agree that the point of QotD is not to amass points. Hopefully we learn a little something each day. I do think the point thing is fun. But I think if you ask a question and someone answers correctly, you should not say "You're wrong." The question should match the results.

• It's not just you. The questions and answers lately have been very poorly phrased.

• that

s how I understood it as well. it's the question about the selects!

• Probably a better QotD is: How did 53% get the answer 2,error? :hehe:

• (Bob Brown) (10/5/2012)

Probably a better QotD is: How did 53% get the answer 2,error? :hehe:

<Cut> <Paste> <Execute> ?

• Lokesh Vij (10/4/2012)

sam.dahl (10/4/2012)

I recognised the attempt to insert null and hence picked 2,0 because that's what the two select statements return: 2 and 0. It's the insert statement that fails.

+1

I also misunderstood the question.

No, you didn't if you selected 2,0 as your answer. The "correct" answer is actually wrong, because the batch isn't aborted by the insert error and the second select runds and returns no rows.

Tom

• kyliedude (10/5/2012)

...and if you check out the question statistics - that's what most people are doing - getting it, erm, 'right'.

Which just demonstrates that most people don't understand how the error is handled.

Tom

It wasn't intended as a lecture. It was just me letting off steam after seeing too many messages (not only in this topic, many topics have the same issue) of people "demanding" "their" points. I simply don't get why those points matter to people.

I agree with you, Hugo (except perhaps on whether it was a lecture or not) but people moaning when they got it right but the "official" answer was wrong is far less irritating (at least to me) that people moaning and demanding their points when they got it wrong and the question was right but they could not accept that it was.

edit: fix typos and a missing "not"

Tom

• Rich Weissler (10/5/2012)

(Bob Brown) (10/5/2012)

Probably a better QotD is: How did 53% get the answer 2,error? :hehe:

<Cut> <Paste> <Execute> ?

Which gives you 2, 0 with an error on the insert. So the question remains...

• (Bob Brown) (10/5/2012)

Another confusing QotD! The answer is definitely 2,0. That is the results from the "selects". The "insert" errors out. It is very straight-forward.

+1

And then the guilty is the developer (never the analyst), due of its misunderstanding of the always well-written spec. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply