SELECT FOR OPENXML begins a transaction?

• Dear SQL Masters,

When I debug a stored procedure I see that before the following code (see below) @@TRANCOUNT has a value of 0 and after stepping through @@TRANCOUNT has a value of 1. Which, unfortunately, messes up my transaction management.

Is this normal behaviour or did I make as mistake?

SELECT @intRowcount = COUNT(status) FROM invoice WHERE invoice_id IN

(SELECT ID FROM OPENXML (@Doc, 'ROOT/INVOICE',1) WITH (ID INT '@ID') ) AND status = 'I '

Thanks for your attention,

Gerry S.

Dutch Anti-RBAR League

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Are implicit transactions turned on? Haven't noticed this, but I don't do much XML work. I'll have to take a look.

• I've never noticed this but then I always have a distributed transaction running when I'm reading XML. I have never had a problem with a transaction count when doing this. Try adding "SET XACT_ABORT ON" before starting your transaction and see if that helps.

Gary Johnson
    Microsoft Natural Language Group
    DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and may not reflect that of my employer.

• Gary and Steve,

I should have mentioned that I ran the script in debug mode with AUTOROLLBACK ON. Which, I suppose, is also the answer why @@TRANCOUNT yielded an unlike number.

Apparently SQL Server 2000 encapsulates the autorollback debug session with a transaction of its own.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Gerry.

Dutch Anti-RBAR League

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply