SELECT * INTO Using a Select Statement

• Dear Group:

I am in the process of converting code that uses an OPENQUERY to data that now resides on our server, but in a different database.

We were using the following code:

SELECT * INTO [dbo].[temp_Weekly_Event_Report] FROM OPENQUERY(Oracle_PROD, '  SELECT DISTINCT column1 FROM table WHERE Event_Source = 1')

All this worked, but now I am trying to do the same thing in T-SQL, but it isn't letting me.

SELECT * INTO temp_Weekly_Event_Report FROM

SELECT

DISTINCT column1 FROM [SQLDatabase].[dbo].[Table] WHERE Event_Source = 1

I keep getting an "Incorrect syntax new the keyword 'SELECT'.  I have tried to Google this, but cannot find a website that shows me how to do a SELECT * INTO using a SELECT statement.

Would appreciate any help.

• You need parentheses to "tell" SQL you're using a subquery in the SELECT:

SELECT * INTO temp_Weekly_Event_Report FROM
    (
    SELECT

DISTINCT column1 FROM [SQLDatabase].[dbo].[Table] WHERE Event_Source = 1
    ) AS any_name

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• I tried it with the "Parentheses", but didn't have the "AS any_name" portion.  Greatly appreciate the help 🙂

• You're welcome.  Yeah, SQL requires the alias name (the "AS" is not required, I just like to use it but the "any_name" part is required).

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• You can simplify those queries without using a sub-query.

SELECT DISTINCT 
    column1
    INTO temp_Weekly_Event_Report
    FROM [SQLDatabase].[dbo].[Table]
    WHERE Event_Source = 1

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply