select one records from each group

• I conceed Noel.  The repeated use of MAX isn't right.  Your query is better.

Francis

• Let's just hope he has QA to catch up bugs, or that it's just a school homework...

• Better might be a strong word here. We still don't know the requirement of the query are and we're ready to close down this thing. Maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves.

• I don't think so Sushila.

I guess we'll hear again from this guy today .

• Agree with Remi here. We STILL don't know what was actually needed

* Noel

• Remi - read through the second half of my response (you're NOT paying attention!!)...

I've said that Jay's requirements and table def could actually work with Francis' solution!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• I don't think so I believe he didn't payed attention because of the fact that names returned had some sence. Pretty sure he'll be back, just not when

* Noel

• How likely is that, a flawed query that works on flawed design with flawed data with flawed lookup of the answer?? If you reread what I said, I said "I don't think so", not "it's not possible". But this is starting to be a moo point, so I'll go have some lunch. L8r.

On second thaught that might be very possible .

• Looks like we are thinking in the same line today

* Noel

• thank you for everyone's help.  the query from fhanlon was indeed had some problems. 

I used the one provided by noeld and it worked fine.

• Cool. Could you please provide the required information next time so that we don't have to guess again? That way we can provide a tested solution in far less time. Everyone gains from this.

• hth

* Noel

• There is one significant (potential) problem with this query. Max(emp_id), max(fname), max(lname) and max(job_lvl) could all be from different rows in the table; they're _probably_ not going to be from the same row.

--Mitch

• We know that... the 2nd page of posts is all about that.

• Yes - it was when Noel pointed out the exact same flaw that started off the whole discussion...and led me to help another user with a similar problem....

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply