Select statement & dividing with zero's

• Hi All,

I have a Select Statment, which as far as my knowledge goes with SQL should work, the issue seems to be the SPC expression;

ISNULL(CONVERT(DECIMAL(5,2),(SUM(CONVERT(NUMERIC,CRC.Success))/(SUM(CONVERT(NUMERIC,CRC.Contact))))*100),0) As SPC

The fields used in this query may contain zero's, but I thought I accounted for that by using ISNULL, but then again its not null its zero... So How do I handle to get the result I need...Ideally in DECIMAL(5,2) data type (i.e. return 0.00 or 100.00)

Full Statement;

DECLARE @Date as varchar(10)

SET @Date = CONVERT(Varchar, '16/05/2008', 103) --Change date for different dates

SELECT Agent.Firstname + ' ' + Agent.Lastname AS AgentName, Agent.AgentID, Groups.GroupName As CampaignName, CONVERT(DECIMAL(6,2),(SUM(TalkTime + HoldTime + WrapTime + WaitTime + PreviewTime + DeadTime)*1.00)/3600) As DiallingTime,

CONVERT(DECIMAL(6,2),(SUM(TalkTime + HoldTime)*1.00)/3600) As TalkTime, CONVERT(DECIMAL(6,2),(SUM(WaitTime + PreviewTime)*1.00)/3600) As WaitTime, CONVERT(DECIMAL(6,2),(SUM(WrapTime + DeadTime)*1.00)/3600) As WrapTime,

SUM(CONVERT(NUMERIC,CRC.Success)) As Success, SUM(CONVERT(NUMERIC,CRC.Contact)) As Contacts, SUM(CONVERT(NUMERIC,CRC.FinalCRC)) As Completes, Count(History.DialID) As Connects,

ISNULL(CONVERT(DECIMAL(6,2),(SUM(CONVERT(NUMERIC,CRC.Contact))/(CONVERT(DECIMAL(6,2),(SUM(TalkTime + HoldTime + WrapTime + WaitTime + PreviewTime + DeadTime)*1.00)/3600)))),0) As CPH,

ISNULL(CONVERT(DECIMAL(6,2),(SUM(CONVERT(NUMERIC,CRC.Success))/(CONVERT(DECIMAL(6,2),(SUM(TalkTime + HoldTime + WrapTime + WaitTime + PreviewTime + DeadTime)*1.00)/3600)))),0) As SPH

ISNULL(CONVERT(DECIMAL(5,2),(SUM(CONVERT(NUMERIC,CRC.Success))/(SUM(CONVERT(NUMERIC,CRC.Contact))))*100),0) As SPC

FROM Agent INNER JOIN

Groups INNER JOIN

GroupProject ON Groups.GroupID = GroupProject.GroupID INNER JOIN

Project ON GroupProject.ProjectID = Project.ProjectID INNER JOIN

History ON Project.ProjectID = History.ProjectID INNER JOIN

CRC ON History.CRC = CRC.CRC ON Agent.AgentID = History.AgentID

WHERE (CONVERT(Varchar, History.CallDateTime, 103) = @Date) AND (Agent.AgentID >1)

GROUP BY Agent.Firstname + ' ' + Agent.Lastname, Agent.AgentID, Groups.GroupName

• TRY PROBABLY THIS:?

CASE WHEN (SUM(CONVERT(NUMERIC,CRC.Contact))))*100),0) > 0.0 THENISNULL(CONVERT(DECIMAL(5,2),(SUM(CONVERT(NUMERIC,CRC.Success))/(SUM(CONVERT(NUMERIC,CRC.Contact))))*100),0) ELSE 0.0 END As SPC

• Can any of the values in the denominator be negative, or are all values greater than or equal to zero?

😎

• I was just providing you a hint.. You may want to :

CASE WHEN (SUM(CONVERT(NUMERIC,CRC.Contact))))*100),0) <> 0.0 THENISNULL(CONVERT(DECIMAL(5,2),(SUM(CONVERT(NUMERIC,CRC.Success))/(SUM(CONVERT(NUMERIC,CRC.Contact))))*100),0) ELSE 0.0 END As SPC

• a.thomson2 (5/19/2008)

Hi All,

I have a Select Statment, which as far as my knowledge goes with SQL should work, the issue seems to be the SPC expression;

The fields used in this query may contain zero's, but I thought I accounted for that by using ISNULL, but then again its not null its zero... So How do I handle to get the result I need...Ideally in DECIMAL(5,2) data type (i.e. return 0.00 or 100.00)

ISNULL(CONVERT(DECIMAL(6,2),(SUM(CONVERT(NUMERIC,CRC.Contact))/(CONVERT(DECIMAL(6,2),(SUM(TalkTime + HoldTime + WrapTime + WaitTime + PreviewTime + DeadTime)*1.00)/3600)))),0) As CPH,

ISNULL(CONVERT(DECIMAL(6,2),(SUM(CONVERT(NUMERIC,CRC.Success))/(CONVERT(DECIMAL(6,2),(SUM(TalkTime + HoldTime + WrapTime + WaitTime + PreviewTime + DeadTime)*1.00)/3600)))),0) As SPH

just wrap the denominator in nullif(expression,0). also, make your life (and the life of anyone who has to maintain that code) easier by eliminating the redundant converts and casting a single term as float. what's using this query should be able to just round the numbers to 2 digits, or you can just cast the final expression as numeric(N,2).

ISNULL(CRC.Contact

/nullif(SUM(convert(float,TalkTime) + HoldTime + WrapTime + WaitTime + PreviewTime + DeadTime),0)/3600

,0) As CPH,

ISNULL(CRC.Success

/nullif(SUM(convert(float,TalkTime) + HoldTime + WrapTime + WaitTime + PreviewTime + DeadTime),0)/3600

,0) As SPH

ISNULL(CRC.Success

/(SUM(CONVERT(float,CRC.Contact))*100)

,0) As SPC

• I've found using NullIf on the denominator works for many of these cases. Instead of a div-0 error, you get a null result.

select 1/0

Gives div-0 error.

select 1/nullif(0,0)

Gives null result.

It can, of course, be wrapped in an IsNull.

select isnull(1/nullif(0,0), 0)

Gives a result of 0.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• The NullIf thing is just fabulous!! Saved a lot of pain 😀

• Yup, thanks GSquared. NullIf explanation saved me today.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply