Select statement using two (or more) databases

• I am new to TSQL and am writing a fairly simple select statement in which I am using two separate databases (on the same server) but am unsure how to pull them in Query Analyzer. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks very much, in advance!!!!

Austin

• USE DB1

Select * from db2.dbo.TableName T1 inner join dbo.Table2 T2 on T1.id = T2.id

• Thanks very much, Remi! I must stress, however, that I am truly new to TSQL. What I tried earlier without success was the following statement is Query Analyzer:

Select rapdata.member.member_number, rapdata.member.Last_name, legalHotline.call.member_number, legalHotline.call.CallDate

From Rapdata.Member, LegalHotline.Call

Where Rapdata.Member.Member_Number=LegalHotline.Call.Member_Number

I'm not sure how to differentiate between the two different databases.

Thanks again for your kind help!

Austin

• SELECT     tblSaleAgents.SaleAgentEmployeeID,

TempTest.dbo.EMPPF.EMPNUMBER, tblSalesAgents.SalesAgentMInitial,

TempTestCareers.dbo.EMPPF.MINAME, tblSalesAgents.SalesAgentStatus,

TempTestCareers.dbo.EMPPF.EMPSTAT

FROM  tblSales LEFT OUTER JOIN TempTest.dbo.EMPPF ON dbo.tblSalesAAgents.SalesAGentFName = TempTest.dbo.EMPPF.EMFNAM AND

tblSalesAAgents.SalesAgentLName = TempTestCareers.dbo.EMPPF.EMLNAM

tblSaleAgents is the local database table

EMPPF is the second database table

So, the syntax is as the prvious answer:

databasename.dbo.tablename.columnname

Good luck

• you can use this technic to change database if you only want to run a select :

--start script

use Pubs

Select * from jobs

use NorthWind

Select * from Orders

--or the equivalient from a third db :

use master

Select * from Pubs.dbo.jobs

use NorthWind

Select * from Northwind.dbo.Orders

--end script

• Thank you both for your kind assistance and extreme patience! I think I must be VERY thick, because I am just not getting it. Here are two examples of what I have tried without any success:

select member.member_number, member.last_name, legalhotline.call.member_number, legalhotline.calldate

from member, legalhotline.call

where member.member_number=legalhotline.dbo.call.member_number

Use Rapdata

select member.member_number, member.last_name

from rapdata.dbo.member

Use legalhotline

from legalhotline.dbo.call

select call.member_number, call.calldate

In the second example, I am not really sure how to create the join parameters either. For example, I want to be able to join on the member_number. urgghhhhhh...thanks for your patience, guys!!! Any additional help you might provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!!!!!

Austin

• Here's a working exemple. The data makes no sens but at least the query works :

Select * from NorthWind.dbo.SysObjects O inner join Pubs.dbo.SysColumns C on O.id = C.id

• Austin, Looking at the given query below this won't work. You will get error like invalid object name on legalhotline.call

/*

select member.member_number, member.last_name, legalhotline.call.member_number, legalhotline.calldate

from member, legalhotline.call

where member.member_number=legalhotline.dbo.call.member_number

*/

assuming your 2 databases are on the server, it should look something like this:

you need to provide dbname.owner.table_name in the FROM clause

Eg.

select T1.*, T2.*

from dbname1.dbo.table_1 T1, dbname2.dbo.table_2 T2

Where T1.id = T2.id

"It's always a good practice to include the owner of the table" ie. dbo.table_name

Just a personal opinion, if you're good at using the WHERE clause stick to it. No need to use inner join clause. It shouldn't be too much differences in term of performance wise.

• Thank you all so very much for your kind assistance! I finally GOT IT! I really appreciate your taking time to explain it to me.

Thanks very much!

Austin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply