Select the last two previous dates from a Dates Table

• I need to compare a record with a date to the last two dates (two previous dates) in a Dates Table. I want to use my Dates Table because it takes Holidays and Weekends into consideration. Below, I am using the DATEADD Function with a hardcoded date. How can I replace the DATEADD Function with the last two dates in the Date Table. Do I need to read (Select) the Dates Table twice and store the two dates into two local variables? I know I can get the last date by using the Max(Date) Function. How would I get the next to last date from the Dates Table? (Would the Top Function work?)

DECLARE @BusinessDate AS DateTime

SET @BusinessDate = '07/29/05'

SELECT 

FROM Table A

--Note I need to pull data from the last 2 previous business days

WHERE A.AsOfDate > DATEADD (dd, -1, @BusinessDate)

Thanks in advance, Kevin.

• Something like this??

Select top 2 Dates from dbo.Calendar where Dates < @BusinessDate order by Dates Desc

• "How would I get the next to last date from the Dates Table? (Would the Top Function work?) "

select max(date) from dates where date < (select max(d1.date) from dates d1)

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• select max(Latest2.[Date]) as MostRecent

,min(Latest2.[Date]) as PriorDate

from (select top 2 [Date] from Dates

where [Date] <= @BusinessDate

order by [Date] DESC

) Latest2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply