select within select

• whats wrong with this πŸ˜•

SELECT A,B FROM (SELECT * FROM Table WHERE Id>5)

it has syntax error πŸ™

• The word "Table" is a keyword. Try using something like MyTable instead.

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. πŸ˜‰

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• You might also need to give that inner query an Alias?

SELECT Tab.A,Tab.B FROM (SELECT * FROM Table) Tab

The Redneck DBA

• Jason Shadonix (10/7/2008)

You might also need to give that inner query an Alias?

thanks Jason you are right,but why we do this ?

i see most example of select within select in internet like select * from (select ..) without alias !?

• Those examples must be not about SQL Server.

• dr_csharp (10/7/2008)

Jason Shadonix (10/7/2008)

i see most example of select within select in internet like select * from (select ..) without alias !?

SQL requires this because datasources need names so that you can refer to their columns and distinguish between columns of the same name from multiple datasources. Tables and Views already have names, but derived tables (like your subquery) do not, so you have to give it a name by using the alias syntax.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• dr_csharp (10/7/2008)

The only "unnamed" subselects that are allowed within a SELECT don't live within the FROM clause. The two examples I can think of are the IN clause

...WHERE columnname IN (subquery) ....

or certain correlated sub-queries that appear in the SELECT portion of the statement.

SELECT myfield, (select count(*) from mytable2 b where a.id=b.id)

from MyTable a

The FROM clause however will require an alias.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (10/7/2008)

dr_csharp (10/7/2008)

The only "unnamed" subselects that are allowed within a SELECT don't live within the FROM clause. The two examples I can think of are the IN clause

...WHERE columnname IN (subquery) ....

or certain correlated sub-queries that appear in the SELECT portion of the statement.

SELECT myfield, (select count(*) from mytable2 b where a.id=b.id)

from MyTable a

The FROM clause however will require an alias.

whats wrong with this :

Select * from Callrecorder where RecId between (select RecId from Table2 ) tempTable

• dr_csharp (10/8/2008)

whats wrong with this :

Select * from Callrecorder where RecId between (select RecId from Table2 ) tempTable

Firstly, as mentioned earlier, a table alias ('tempTable') is only required if the table is referenced in the FROM clause. Your subquery is referenced in the WHERE clause.

Secondly, BETWEEN requires two arguments. Without testing, something like this would work in theory:

SELECT * FROM Callrecorder

WHERE RecId BETWEEN (SELECT RecId FROM Table2 WHERE SomeWhereClause)

AND (SELECT RecId FROM Table2 WHERE SomeOtherWhereClause)

In practice, you'd assign the two RecId's to variables. You would, wouldn't you? πŸ™‚

Cheers

ChrisM

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply