Send Mail Fails when Exchange Server is unavailable...

• Hi All

I'm using the Send Mail task fairly extensively through the various packages that I have written (both 2005 and 2008R2).

The problem we experience irregularly is that whenever the Exchange server is unavailable, the job in question fails.

Unfortunately, the Exchange server is outside our control, and is on a remote site, so this happens more often than I'd like.

So, I got thinking. What if I could install some kind of SMTP relay directly on the server which I could point the send mail task at, and then would enable the packages to run through successfully even if the corporate email server wasn't available. The Relay would send on the emails once the server was available again.

I guess I'm trying to replicate the "outbox" functionality on Outlook without having to do loads of re-coding (the exchange server address is controlled pretty much exclusively by a config file).

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Ben

• what you are asking is already built into the mail service on SQL.

the service broker for mail automatically retries when the mail server is unavailable;

you might want to change the number of retries and the interval to accomodate how often it tries to do it for you., for exampel ten tries over ten minute intervals.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply