Server Alias for Use by a Client

• Hi

Here is my scenario;

I created a SQL Server Alias in server A, using below steps. I am able to successfully connect to the alias from Server A.

'When I try connecting from my laptop (Using SSMS) it is throwing me a error that alias name doesn't exists. Error 11001. Experts please throw your valuable suggestions/recommendations to fix this Issue'.

1. In SQL Server Configuration Manager, expand SQL Server Native Client Configuration, right-click Aliases, and then click New Alias.

2. In the Alias Name box, type the name of the alias. Client applications use this name when they connect.

3. In the Server box, type the name or IP address of a server. For a named instance append the instance name.

4. In the Protocol box, select the protocol used for this alias. Selecting a protocol, changes the title of the optional properties box to Port No, Pipe Name, or Connection String.

• You need to create the same alias on your Laptop (same as the one on Server A) too to connect to that SQL Server.

--

SQLBuddy

• You are right! How about the application? I mean app is not able to recognize the alias name.

One more doubt in my mind; what is the point if we keep creating alias in each machine that uses this alias name? Is there a procedure where we we create a alias in one place (In our case Server A) and all machines uses that alias automatically.

I appreciate the your reply.

• Do the same on the application server too ..

--

SQLBuddy

• what is the point if we keep creating alias in each machine that uses this alias name? Is there a procedure where we we create a alias in one place (In our case Server A) and all machines uses that alias automatically.:-)

• $Raam (3/27/2014)

what is the point if we keep creating alias in each machine that uses this alias name? Is there a procedure where we we create a alias in one place (In our case Server A) and all machines uses that alias automatically.:-)

True, client alias is a pain. 🙂

This has to be done if the actual Server X name to which the Aliases are being created has not changed.

But if the actual server name X changes permanently say to Server Y, then DNS alias can be created. From that point onwards, all network traffic referring to old server name X will be redirected to the new server Y using that DNS alias. In this approach, client aliases needn't be created on individual machines ..

--

SQLBuddy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply