Server fault in an external Process

• Hello,

I am using SQL Server 2000 Sp2 and I have a linked server setup with the OLEDB Provider for ODBC Drivers connected to MAs90 (a remote application) when I run a job that queries the Linked Server and there is a problem on Mas90 I receive the Following Error:

OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' reported an error. Provider caused a server fault in an external process. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 7399). The step failed.

The surrogate process DLLHOST hangs and I have to manually Kill it to re-run the job. If I don't the job fails immediately.

Does any body knows how to workaround this problem?

Thanks in advance!!!

Noel

DBA

* Noel

• In my experience, any time you have a failure in an OBDC connection, every request following it, even if clearing the error, still return errors, until the thread using it is terminated and restarted, where it will be fine, until the next time. I've experienced this same behavior between Access, Excel, Outlook, As400 clients, VB apps, Linked Servers, Crystal Reports, Etc...

The way I've always dealt with it, was to monitor the connection for errors, and reset the app on error. Sometimes it was a batch command to kill the task and start it again activated by a log. Sometimes we were able to write it into our app. If someone else has a better way, I'd be greatly interested as well, as this has been one of those ongoing encounters for me as well.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply