Server Information

• I want to know, if company is providing me server for ETL stuff.

What stuff in the server or extra application make ETL server more efficient/robust? i.e (sql server

2008 or 2012, space, ram size, ?????)

Thank You,

• Are you asking us if you have BI tools installed or how to size your environment to get the best out of SQL Server's BI offerings?

If you want to know if you have BI tools installed, you could look to see if you have "SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio" under your SQL Server program files folder. Additionally, you could review services.exe and see what is installed - Things like SQL Server Integration Services, SQL Server Reporting Services etc. I have stumbled across scripts where people derive this kind of information via T-SQL - Google will be your friend here.

If, on the other hand, you are asking how to size your instance for CPU's, Memory, IO, Network and so on, then you really need to provide a lot more information about your database(s), applications, workload etc. However, sizing a database instance is no trivial matter so you'd be wise to take any advice with a pinch of salt and verify the numbers for yourself. It's a big investment to get wrong.

• Clive Strong (9/12/2014)

However, sizing a database instance is no trivial matter so you'd be wise to take any advice with a pinch of salt and verify the numbers for yourself. It's a big investment to get wrong.

That's some really good advice. It's nothing to simply guess at and there's a fair amount of planning involved. Glenn Barry has a chapter on selecting SQL Server hardware in SQL Server MVP Deep Dives Volume 2. If you don't have the book, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply