Server name changed to IP Number?

• I was accustomed to finding a particular server name in order to do an export of data.  I recently upgraded my Windows XP to Service Pack 2.  Not sure if that's why I'm having a problem, but all of a sudden now, the name of the server I need, which is on my laptop, has been replaced with the IP number of my laptop.  Can anyone help?  Thank you in advance.

• Do you have trouble connecting to SQL Server with your "Machine Name"?

• I have no problem connecting to the server "Cov".  It shows up in Enterprise Manager just fine.  I did go ahead and turn off the firewall which was on my machine after installing SP 2 of Windows XP just in case that had anything to do with it.  However, that did not help.

• Have you tried to 'ping' it? Could it be some WINS problem?

• Try adding an entry in your host file (found in c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc)

10.10.10.10 Servername

• Thanks for trying to help.  Yes I can ping it...it is my own IP number of my laptop.   And I added an entry into the host file and that made no difference.  It does work when I type in the name of that server when in DTS but the name will no longer appear in the drop-down listbox with its name as it did before I upgraded to SP2, it only shows the IP number of my laptop in the list.

• Okay, can it be that with SP2 your computer cannot register it's name with the entity that responds to your SQL Server Request Broadcast (Opening the drop down list. I do not know any better name for the action SQL Server executes) but that it knows you have a SQL Server and responds with the IP.

While your computer, on it's own, responds to your ARP request (to resolve the NetBios name) when you are trying to Ping the name and when you use it via DTS.

Is the laptop properly configured in the Domain?

Sorry I cannot help you but I think it might be something similar...

Hanslindgren

• Hmm.  Well, I can say that it must have to do with the update to SP2.  The laptop has been registered on the Domain for a couple of years now with no problems.  I will research your ideas, though.  Thank you for your input!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply