Server Performance

• Hi ,

Developement team is complaining that they are facing poor query performance all of a sudden . I checked for blocking & long running queries ,but not able to find anything unusual. Full backup was running on the server and that was the only job running at that point.

My question is whether full\log backup will cause performance issue?? As per my knowledge backup wont constitute any performance degradation.Please correct me if am wrong.

TIA

• In our experience backups run seamlessly alongside other activity, clearly they are a volume read activity & will be causing write activity against the logs but if running a backup is causing significant problems I would be looking for something else not running right first.

• Rechana Rajan (3/27/2012)

Hi ,

Developement team is complaining that they are facing poor query performance all of a sudden . I checked for blocking & long running queries ,but not able to find anything unusual. Full backup was running on the server and that was the only job running at that point.

My question is whether full\log backup will cause performance issue?? As per my knowledge backup wont constitute any performance degradation.Please correct me if am wrong.

TIA

Did you check their queries?

The optimization jobs, statistics, execution plans etc. ?

M&M

• http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-1/

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-2/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks everyone for the reply.

Can anyone please clarify whether backup will cause performance degradation??

• It can if the IO subsystem can't handle the load of the queries plus the backups, but that's the only way it could.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I have seen backups cause problems with a server, but usually only if that server is already operating right at the edge, with extremely have I/O & Memory operations. In general, no, backups don't cause problems. They're usually pretty light weight and minimal cost processes.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply