Server shutdown/restart order w/replication

• We have replication setup with the publisher, distributor, and subscriber each running on seperate servers. All 3 servers are clustered (Publisher is on cluster "A" and Distributor and Subscriber are on a seperate cluster "B"). We have to shutdown all 3 servers to perform work on our SAN. Is there any preferential order for a shutdown and restart? My guess would be:

Shutdown: Pub 1st - Dist 2nd - Sub 3rd

...and the reverse to restart

Restart: Sub 1st - Dist 2nd - Pub 3rd

Is this correct - does it matter?

(all SQL 2K/sp3a - Windows Enterprise 2003)

Thanks

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Hi there.

I need to do this also. Did you try that order and were there any surprises encountered?

• Stop the log reader agent and then you can shutdown in any order. It does not matter. Once your SAN is back online and you start up your SQL Server and the agent, restart your log reader agent.

But since you are going to be working on SAN make sure you have your back up and tran log back up strategy in place.

-Roy

• Here is the preferred order we do in our environment.

Distributor, Publisher and Subscriber.

When bringing up.

Distributor, Subscriber, and Publisher.

EnjoY!

EnjoY!
  • When shutting down, do you turn off any of the agents first or just shut the servers down?

• Turn of the agents before shut down.

EnjoY!

EnjoY!
  • Thanks again.

On the publisher, I have turned off all the log reader agents. This can be done once per replication database no matter how many publications there are. That is, you turn this off on one publication and it is turned off for all publications for that database.

Most of our many publications have 3 to 4 push subscribers. The snapshot agent at the publication level is stopped by default, I think there is a schedule for them to run periodically. I'm not clear about this.

At the subscriber level, the snapshot agents appear to be running. Is it correct that I have to go to each subscription and stop the snapshot agent? If so, I will have to do this over 100 times as we have about 50 publications, each with an average of 2 of 3 subscribers!

I don't think there are any agents to turn off on the distributor. Correct?

I'm working mainly with transactional replication here although I have a couple of snapshot publications too.

• I'd go with GTs advice, though replication has worked pretty well in small situations without worrying about agents.

I'd script the shutdown of the subscriber agents (use SQLCMD) since you'll likely do this again. Don't do it manually. Get the names, write a script that connects to each server to shut things down.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply