SERVER UPGRADE - HELP

• In the process of upgrading to a bigger machine, we are takening the RAID 5 (4 x 36GB) and RAID 1 (2 x 72GB) harddrives to the newer machine. Ans then we are adding 4x146GB drives as RAID 5 again.

If everything goes well till now, then we wanted to implement the below changes:

EXISTING:

DATA & LOG : RAID5

DATA Backup & LOG Backup : RAID1

PROPOSED:

DATA: RAID 5 array

LOG : RAID 1 array

DATA Backup & LOG Backup : 2nd RAID5 array

Please let me know if there thing I need to worry about in the above plan.

Also can any one please let me know if there are already scripts for the above.

I guess I don't need to take logings backup & transfer since we transferring the hard drives as well?

NOTE: Do I need to worryu about the MAC address na dthe machine? We will be having the same IP and MACHINE NAME finally.

• quote:

In the process of upgrading to a bigger machine, we are takening the RAID 5 (4 x 36GB) and RAID 1 (2 x 72GB) harddrives to the newer machine. Ans then we are adding 4x146GB drives as RAID 5 again.

If everything goes well till now, then we wanted to implement the below changes:

EXISTING:

DATA & LOG : RAID5

DATA Backup & LOG Backup : RAID1

PROPOSED:

Please let me know if there thing I need to worry about in the above plan.

If the new array is for backup, this will go twice as fast if you make the array RAID 10 instead of RAID 5 (but you will lose 72GB of space).

quote:

Also can any one please let me know if there are already scripts for the above.

Scripts to do what, move the tran log? Just use sp_detach_db and sp_attach_db, or (see below) RESTORE DATABASE...WITH MOVE.

quote:

I guess I don't need to take logings backup & transfer since we transferring the hard drives as well?

You would be ill-advised to do this without making at least two database backups to different media. Unless the new server's controller, OS, etc. is identical and your initial setup is done expertly, you cannot expect to transfer the drives with data intact. Make the backups in any case; I bet you'll be restoring.

quote:

NOTE: Do I need to worryu about the MAC address na dthe machine? We will be having the same IP and MACHINE NAME finally.

No.

--Jonathan

--Jonathan

• It would be advisable to have backup of all the db's and the logins (thro' bcp so that u won't need to sync the id's).

• quote:

PROPOSED:

If you can, make the data drive as RAID 10 too.

• Jonathan & vambati: I am taking the backups of all the databases as well as copying the DATA files & LOG files (after stopping the services) to different machine before starting the upgrade process.

I am not much into RAID 10. Can you guys thro some light on that. or links? I have not done that yet.

Allen: I am not favourable to break the current RAID5 array. Thats the reason I would like to have the DATA files on this array and the have the new RAID 5 array as backups location.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply