Service Account

• I have a job which creates a trace and another one that stops the trace and renames the file.

The problem i have is that the rename won't work since the SQL Agent Service account doesn't have privileges to rename the file on the server, though it is able to create one.

I'm using 2 different accounts, one for the service and another one for the agent. The file that's being created is owned by the service account and the agent doesn't have any privileges. Is this behavior normal?

I tried both NTFS and share permissions to the agent account, but that didn't help either. I don't want to give either service Local Administrator privileges. Any suggestions?

• You give modify privilege to the service account on the folder that traces yo activites. That should allow you to rename a given file.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• I tried both NTFS and share permissions to the agent account, but that didn't help either. I don't want to give either service Local Administrator privileges.

Any other suggestions...

• Are you xp_cmdshell, if yes check whether the service account has following privileges under User rights assignment on Local security policy.

1.) Act as a part of operating system

2.) Replace process level token.

If possible provide us the errorlog detail or job history.

• Sometimes when a process creates a file, it chooses to break inheritance and assign different permissions than what the folder has. SQL Server 2005 does this whenever you create a new database file. Check the permissions on the file itself. Does the SQL Server Agent account have permissions to the file?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• The service account doesn't have have privileges over the file. Is there a work-around on this?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply