Service Account used in Linked Server getting disabled

• Using SQL Server 2008 R2 64-bit on a Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit.

I have a linked server setup to an AS400 iSeries machine where the account name and password are entered on the security page of the linked server properties window. The linked server uses an iSeries ODBC dsn.

For no apparent reason, the account occasionally (approximately every 3 weeks) gets disabled on the AS400 machine. This has happened five times now in three months. I have not changed anything with the linked server.

The SQL Server is used primarily as a Reporting Server with the database engine on the same server.

Any one have an idea what could be causing this?

• Could there be another process attempting to connect with a bad password and disabling the account? Has anything come up in Event Viewer?

Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings;

• Most likely its another process trying to connect using the wrong password. Since the issue has been occurring for a long time, I think the other process is still unaware they are using the wrong password you might want to look into any scheduled job etc. Look for automated tasks such as Backups.

Most companies have a password change policy. Do you add a new password or do you simply enable the account ?

Try checking the event viewer to see if there are any messages on the account log ons.

If you want to monitor more closely you could setup a Logon trigger and wait for the problem to occur again.

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• I don't think that there is another process that is using the wrong password. Just two people have access to the server. I belive that the only connection to the AS400 is thru the linked server. I've checked the event and reporting services logs and nothing out of the ordinary shows up.

The Reporting Service and the Database engine service are executing using the same account and password as in the linked server.

This SQL server is the only one in the company running 2008 R2 64-bit against the AS400.

I'm not a DBA.

• There is a difference between account lock out and Disabled accounts , You need to have your DBA monitor the server to find out which of these is occurring. Or you could provide the error message your getting if you already have it.

Lockout means a bad password and disable means someone is actually disabling the account.

Either ways you need to trace the root cause.

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply