ServicePack 3

• Hello,

My SQL Server 7 is not having any service pack. Im planning to upgrade it to the latest service pack released.

I did go thru the microsoft site, but i also heard that there are a few bugs in the sp3 installation.

What I want is, a step-by-step procedure to be done to install the sp3 successfully.

If there is any bugs, kindly tell me so that i could go the right way.

Cheers

Parasu Raman

Regards
    Parasu Raman

• I don't recall any bugs. Definitely read the readme.txt of course.

Andy

• Hi,

Thanx for that. But, I heard that the machine hangs during the SP3 installation and this causes some problems due to incomplete instal. Any ideas on this?

And also, what should I do before upgrading my sp regarding the databases are concerned?

Cheers

Parasu Raman

Regards
    Parasu Raman

• Backup!

Seriously, if you do a good backup and read ALL the install instructions, you've done most of what you can do. I usually check here and the MS newsgroups to see if there is a lot of traffic about problems first as well. So far MS done pretty well with sp releases. It something happens, as long as you've got your backup you're looking good.

Andy

• I agree with Andy, but when I say backup in this case - I'd say everyhting.

MS is notorious for changing DLL and updating the registry. I'd image copy off my machine and have a boot disk ready so that I can you can do a full recovery in case I didn't like the way the service pack installed. I don't trust uninstall programs they normally leave something behind.

I installed sp3 on a virgin 7.0 install - no problems, but your configuration is different then mine and you use different features of MS than i do. There's no way of knowing, your best bet is preparing for the worst.

John Zacharkan

• You might also want to detach your dbs and make a copy of the raw mdf/ldf/ndf files.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply