Servicepacks or CU

• Hi,

I am confusing with latest service pack for sql2016 .

Microsoft will release  sp3 ?   OR  There will be no service pack release after sp2 for sql2016.

Thanks

• Microsoft are no longer supplying Service Pack updates for SQL Server 2017+. Instead, 2017+ will receive a CU every month for the first 12 months after the release, and then 1 service pack every quarter for the following 4 years. This provides a 5 year support window; which will then be followed by a 5 year extended support period for things like security patches.

There was no announcements (that ui'm aware of) that the update process for SQL Server 2016 and prior will change, therefore you could expect a further Service pack for SQL Server 2016. This does not mean there will be; as Microsoft may well find there is no need to. Considering, however, that SQL Server 2012  to 6.5, excluding 2008R2, all had at least 4 SPs (6.5 had 5) then I would suggest that 2016 is likely to get at least one more.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thank you !!

so we will need to update the latest Cumulative updates(CU7)  for sql2016 ?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply