Services required to run on SQL Server box

• Hello!

I was wondering what services 'a must' run on Windows Server 2003/SQL Server 2000 box. I am trying to stop services that are not really required in order to run this server.

Thanks,
    Igor

• Take a look at the following document:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Security Guide

It has a lot more than just the services. But it'll invaluable to you for not just SQL Servers, but any Windows Server 2003 installations in your environment.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks a lot!

Igor

• I read the quide that was referenced but did not find anything specifically for Windows 2003 running SQL 2000. I, too, need to know which services Windows 2003 are required in order to run SQL 2000. My CTO wants me to lock down these Windows 2003 servers running SQL 2000 super tight.

• It is not specific to just SQL, but represents best practices concerning different types of servers, to include being able to manage them reasonably. However, if you want a list of services which should be left running, this might help. When installing a SQL Server 2000 cluster, there were certain services you have to leave on. Others should be disabled. The article is a bit dated (it doesn't cover Windows Server 2003), but it might provide some additional guidance for you. It's from the SQL Server 2000 Resource Kit:

Chapter 12 - Failover Clustering

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply