• Hi

I have this query:

declare @ToDate datetime

declare @FromDate datetime

set @FromDate = ?

set @ToDate = ?

select @FromDate

select @ToDate

To what values can I set my FromDate to, I tried set @FromDate = '21/07/2014' but I get and error since @FromDate is not a vachar, then I tried 21/07/2014 I also get '1900-01-01 00:00:00.000' date instead. please help. I want to assign values to my variables

• set dateformat ymd

declare @ToDate datetime

set @FromDate = '2014-07-21'

set @ToDate = '2014-07-22'

select @FromDate

select @ToDate

Does that do what you need?

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• CONVERT uses style codes to control output and input formatting:

declare @ToDate datetime, @FromDate datetime

SELECT -- UK format

@FromDate = CONVERT(DATETIME,'21/06/2014',103),

@ToDate = CONVERT(DATETIME,'21/07/2014',103)

select @FromDate, @ToDate

SELECT -- US format

@FromDate = CONVERT(DATETIME,'06/21/2014',101),

@ToDate = CONVERT(DATETIME,'07/21/2014',101)

select @FromDate, @ToDate

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• @BWFC

The code is this:

declare @ToDate datetime

set @FromDate = '01/02/20014'

set @ToDate = '28/02/20014'

SELECT EVENTDATE,'' AS BRANCHCD, BUSINESS_AREA, CREATE_DATE, WORK_TYPE, QUEUE, STATUS, CREATE_AGE, CATEGORYCD, DELAYREASON1, DELAYREASON2

FROM dbo.vwCS_RPT_EB_DRAFTERS_INFO_DESPATCHDOC

WHERE (CONVERT(datetime, EVENTDATE, 103) >= @FromDate) AND (CONVERT(datetime, EVENTDATE, 103) <= @ToDate)

And I get this error, Syntax error converting datetime from character string.

So I posted that piece of a code to try to solve this one

• What datatype is EVENTDATE?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• It's datetime.

• hoseam (7/21/2014)

@BWFC

The code is this:

declare @ToDate datetime

set @FromDate = '01/02/20014'

set @ToDate = '28/02/20014'

SELECT EVENTDATE,'' AS BRANCHCD, BUSINESS_AREA, CREATE_DATE, WORK_TYPE, QUEUE, STATUS, CREATE_AGE, CATEGORYCD, DELAYREASON1, DELAYREASON2

WHERE (CONVERT(datetime, EVENTDATE, 103) >= @FromDate) AND (CONVERT(datetime, EVENTDATE, 103) <= @ToDate)

And I get this error, Syntax error converting datetime from character string.

So I posted that piece of a code to try to solve this one

Have you noticed that you've got your year as 20014? If you've copied and pasted directly, that might be your problem.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• I just corrected it and I get this error "The conversion of a char data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range datetime value."

• hoseam (7/21/2014)

I just corrected it and I get this error "The conversion of a char data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range datetime value."

Use CONVERT with a style, as I suggested.

Also, remove the conversion you have on EVENTDATE, it makes no difference to the result set but is likely to hinder performance.

• Use ISO based date formats or if you must do DMY set your connection to use DMY formatting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

SET DATEFORMAT DMY

Otherwise the general default is MDY resulting in 28/02/2014 being the 28th Month, 2nd Day, 2014th Year, and your getting a conversion error as there isn't a 28th month

• declare @ToDate datetime

set @FromDate = '1 Feb 2014'

set @ToDate = '28 Feb 0014'

WHERE EVENTDATE >= convert(datetime, @FromDate,103) AND EVENTDATE <= convert(datetime, @ToDate,103)

The error is the same, "The conversion of a char data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range datetime value."

• hoseam (7/21/2014)

declare @ToDate datetime

set @FromDate = '1 Feb 2014'

WHERE EVENTDATE >= convert(datetime, @FromDate,103) AND EVENTDATE <= convert(datetime, @ToDate,103)

The error is the same, "The conversion of a char data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range datetime value."

• Your ToDate is 0014, that's outside the scope of datetime

• DROP TABLE #Events

CREATE TABLE #Events (ID INT IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL, EVENTDATE DATETIME)

INSERT INTO #Events VALUES

('2014-07-20 14:42:33.360'),

('2014-07-19 14:42:33.360'),

('2014-07-18 14:42:33.360'),

('2014-07-17 14:42:33.360'),

('2014-07-16 14:42:33.360'),

('2014-07-15 14:42:33.360'),

('2014-07-14 14:42:33.360'),

('2014-07-13 14:42:33.360'),

('2014-07-12 14:42:33.360')

-- filter the table for dates between 14th and 19th June inclusive

DECLARE @FromDate DATETIME, @ToDate DATETIME

SELECT -- UK format

@FromDate = CONVERT(DATETIME,'14/07/2014',103),

@ToDate = CONVERT(DATETIME,'19/07/2014',103)

SELECT *

FROM #Events

WHERE EVENTDATE >= @FromDate AND EVENTDATE <= @ToDate

-- note that '2014-07-14 14:42:33.360' is included in the output because

-- '2014-07-14 14:42:33.360' > '2014-07-14 00:00:00.000'

-- but '2014-07-19 14:42:33.360' is excluded, because it's > 2014-07-19 00:00:00.000

-- so change the WHERE clause:

SELECT *

FROM #Events

WHERE EVENTDATE >= @FromDate AND EVENTDATE < DATEADD(DAY,1,@ToDate)

-- This filters correctly, and you don't have to convert EVENTDATE to DATE -

-- which *could* prevent index usage.

• Thank you

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply