SET option hierarchy

• cfradenburg (2/1/2012)

KWymore (2/1/2012)

I was going to choose All of the Above but then re-read the answers and thought that "All" could not be right since there were 2 answers that were mutually exclusive. It is still a good question, although the point has been mostly lost due to poor answer choices.

The point is only lost if you focus more on the added answer than what the question was trying to get at. I got it wrong because I assumed at "all of the above" was a last minute add to get another option because it was impossible for all the other answers to be correct. However, my reasoning that the first three options were all right based on what I knew about the topic was right so I still got the point of the question.

I understand that the problematic option isn't one that the author initially put in but I'm wondering if this would have been better formatted as a multiple choice question. Check any of the answers that apply, leave out the last two options, and add a couple others so not all were selected (or not, nothing wrong with all being right).

I agree that multiple choice may have been a better solution. Oh well. the point of the question was still a good one. Hopefully this experience has not dissuaded the QoTD author from submitting further questions.

• KWymore (2/1/2012)

Hopefully this experience has not dissuaded the QoTD author from submitting further questions.

I hope not. It was a question on something I hadn't really thought about much. And I doubt it. While repetitive none of the posts are particularly insulting either which I'm happy to see.

• My apologies. I think I selected the wrong answer when reworking things. The original answers weren't quite clear, so I altered them.

I have fixed things, and awarded back points.

• KWymore (2/1/2012)

Hopefully this experience has not dissuaded the QoTD author from submitting further questions.

+1

Sandip, I hope to see your next one soon.

• Me too. Great question. Keep them coming! 🙂

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
    http://www.softplan.com.br
    MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA

• OK now I'm really confused - the document referenced in the 'Explanation' (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191203.aspx) has a 3 step heirarchy -

1 - A database option overrides an instance option.

2 - A SET option overrides a database option.

3 - A hint overrides a SET option.

but the 'correct answer' (presumably amended since the earlier discussions) says "A database option overrides an instance option and a SET option overrides a database option, but a hint does not override a SET option"

.... ??

• zerko (2/1/2012)

OK now I'm really confused

I'm guessing you didn't read the thread. Any time there's something wrong in the question it gets discussed thoroughly. If you read through the thread you'll be up to speed.

• cfradenburg (2/2/2012)

zerko (2/1/2012)

OK now I'm really confused

I'm guessing you didn't read the thread. Any time there's something wrong in the question it gets discussed thoroughly. If you read through the thread you'll be up to speed.

Well, his remark "presumably amended since the earlier discussions" suggests he did read the topic.

And I have to agree with him. Steve seems to have made a mistake when correcting the answer; he marked an incorrect answer as the officially "correct" one.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/1/2012)

My apologies. I think I selected the wrong answer when reworking things. The original answers weren't quite clear, so I altered them.

I have fixed things, and awarded back points.

It is still wrong after your modification:

Right answer is:

"A database option overrides an instance option, a SET option overrides a database option, and a hint overrides a SET option".

No doubt!

Please,I want my points back! 🙂

• Points were awarded back.

I cut / paste the wrong way. I can't change the answer once people have answered, so I was looking to move answers around.

• Glad I came in late and found the correct answer there.:hehe:

• jlennartz (2/3/2012)

Glad I came in late and found the correct answer there.:hehe:

That's why I usually wait a day or 2 or 3 😀 I can't afford the confusion of wrong set of answers right now when I am trying to cram in so much info all the time!

Great question (especially since I got it right!)

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

• Thank you All.

• Good question. Thanks.

http://brittcluff.blogspot.com/

• It takes someone with a good knowledge of a question to ask it in a way that is illuminating

Jamie

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply