Set SysProcesses.Program_Name from OSQL or T-SQL?

• If it's not running from SQL, how does it even have a spid?  I thought spid was used by SQL, kpid was used by Windows.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• Try this

osql -S "servername;app=appname"

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Because it connects to SQL Server using connection string.

• You, Sir, are not only a genius, but you've made my day... I tested it and that is precisely what I was looking for!

I've gotta ask, David... how in the heck did you figure that one out?  I beat the heck out of BOL and the Web looking for just that type of information... ya gotta tell me... how did you find it?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Oh Jeez... the simplicity of your solution is even more proof of your genius... I'm a bit ashamed that I didn't figure it out on my own... much like "SQL Injection" works, you did a "Connection Injection"... absolutely brilliant!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• quote how in the heck did you figure that one out

Too many years of programming, far too many to mention 

I used to use the app property in my connection strings to enable me to do what you are doing and built the string bit by bit (server, user etc), so I thought, well, osql must do the same and if it did not validate the -S param before using it....... then with a simple test, lo and behold it worked.

quote "Connection Injection"

never thought of it that way, wonder if anyone tried this to sucessfully attack sql server in some way

p.s many thanks for the compliments, makes me very humble , genius, no, but on occasion...... maybe a flash of inspiration 

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply