Setting High Availability Groups between live site and DR site

• How can I set High Availability Groups between live site and DR site? The situation on the ground is as follows:

a)On Live Data center I have the following:

1.Windows Cluster 2

2.Availability Group with four databases (2 synchronous and 2 asynchronous)

3.Windows server 2012

4.SQL Server 2016 service pack 2

b)On DR Datacenter I have the following:

1.Windows Cluster 1

2.Availability Group with four databases (2 syncronous and 2 asyncronous)

3.Windows server 2012

4.SQL Server 2016 service pack 2

c)What I want to achieve is as follows:

1.Replicate data at the Live Data Center to the DR.

2.Maintain same environment on both live and dr site.

3.Automatic fail-over within the live cluster not across to the dr clusters.achieve

How can I achieve the above objectives with the current set-up?Or Alternatively  how else can I achieve the above using available SQL Server 2016 high availability solutions?

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris

• 1.Windows Cluster 2

What kind of cluster?

Where are the availability groups failing over to?

Alex S
  • AGs in two different clusters can be connected into a Distributed Availability Group (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/availability-groups/windows/distributed-availability-groups?view=sql-server-2016), which will provide you with AG-to-AG (in your case, site-to-site) replication. When using Distributed Availability Groups, the replication is a single stream from the Primary in the first AG to the Primary in the second AG. The Primary in the second AG will replicate the data from the first AG to the second AGs Secondary replica databases. Failover between the two AGs is manual.

Note: Distributed Availability Groups do not support a Listener. Each of the two AGs will still have their own separate network names, so after failing over between the AGs in a Distributed Availability Group you will need to update the connection strings of the applications accessing the databases.

Eddie Wuerch
    MCM: SQL

• 1.Windows Cluster 2

What kind of cluster?----Windows failover cluster

Where are the availability groups failing over to?---database level when the primary database health is affected the secondary database is taking over within the same Windows Fail Over Cluster.

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris

• Eddie Wuerch wrote:

AGs in two different clusters can be connected into a Distributed Availability Group (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/availability-groups/windows/distributed-availability-groups?view=sql-server-2016), which will provide you with AG-to-AG (in your case, site-to-site) replication. When using Distributed Availability Groups, the replication is a single stream from the Primary in the first AG to the Primary in the second AG. The Primary in the second AG will replicate the data from the first AG to the second AGs Secondary replica databases. Failover between the two AGs is manual. Note: Distributed Availability Groups do not support a Listener. Each of the two AGs will still have their own separate network names, so after failing over between the AGs in a Distributed Availability Group you will need to update the connection strings of the applications accessing the databases.  

That's is the solution that I want...thank you!!!!!!!

• As a follow-up question how do i ensure that the databases are identical when I failover from production to DR and then from DR to live without data loss and at the very minimum time?

• You ensure that by configuring the Distributed Availability Group in Synchronous Commit Mode as outlined in the previously provided link.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply