Setting up a remote connection to a SQL Server from a local machine

• I have a SQL Server 2014 installation on a server (CHRIS-PC\CHRISSQL)

I have SQL Server 2014 management studio installed on local server called Pootle

I have gone through the configuration on server (CHRIS-PC\CHRISSQL) inc the following:

(1) I have set up a user on CHRIS-PC\CHRISSQL called sqladminuser at

server level with the Server Roles of 'Public' and 'SysAdmin'

(2) The computers are both on the same homegroup.

(3) On Chris-PC , I have opened up the firewall port 1433 as Inbound Rule

(4) On Chris-PC, Within SQL Server Configuration Manager,

the 'SQL Server Network Configuration for Protocols for CHRISSQL' have been set up as follows:

- The TCP protocol is enabled

- I have set up IP2

as follows:

Active: Yes

Enabled: No

IP Addres: 192.168.0.3

However when I try to connect from SQL Server Management Studio 2014 on my local machine Pootle

to Chris-PC\CHRISSQL using SQL Server Authentication with the user sqladminuser , I get the following

error message:

TITLE: Connect to Server

------------------------------

Cannot connect to CHRIS-PC\CHRISSQL.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server.

The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.

(provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=-1&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

Can someone please give me some guidance on how to set up a remote connection from SQL Server Management Studio

on my local machine Pootle to CHRIS-PC\CHRISSQL

• Possibly because of this:

- I have set up IP2

as follows:

You will need to enable it, and restart the instance. After that, have a look in the SQL Error log to see if it has an entry saying that it is listening on that IP address.

• Thanks Ian

I tried to change the Enabled to Yes but couldn't

It might be because I am accessing the machine via Log Me In

I have made a note of it and will try it when I get home.

I can ping the IP address with success, so maybe this is the missing step

Ian Scarlett (9/17/2015)

Possibly because of this:

- I have set up IP2

as follows:

You will need to enable it, and restart the instance. After that, have a look in the SQL Error log to see if it has an entry saying that it is listening on that IP address.

• EXEC sys.sp_configure N'remote access', N'1'

GO

RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

GO

There is also an instance property that can be set using the code above. I think it is not enabled by default in SQL Express, though I don't use Express so I am not sure.

• I changed the enabled to yes but still no joy.

I get the following error message:

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to 192.168.0.3.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 50)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=50&LinkId=20476

The request is not supported

BUTTONS:

OK

• First, from the client PC with connectivity issue, confirm you can ping server name and IP.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Also is TCP/IP enabled on the protocol tab of the TCP/IP properties page? I think the info you sent were for the second tab and I don't believe those are required to be turned to on, at least a test box has them off and I can connect remotely.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply