Setup.exe to run UpgradeAdvisor locally

• My goal is to upgrade the edition of SSRS 2005 from Standard to Enterprise. This is on an active/passive cluster.

I'm running the setup from command line, using SKUUPGRADE=1. System Configuration Check runs successfully.

I choose Reporting Services as the component to install. It recognizes my installed SSRS instance (default instance). When I click on the Details button, it tells me:

Name: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services (64-bit)

Allowed Action: Upgrade

Reason: Product can be upgraded to a new version.

So far, so good. It then goes in to "Analyzing Upgrade", and comes up with Upgrade Blocked".

The message is "You must run Upgrade Advisor locally on the computer that has Reporting Services installed."

At first I thought it was complaining about running off DVD so I copied to disk, but it still says the same thing.

A few google searches later I realized that it's talking about local node vs. cluster.

Running advisor manually, it does fail going against the cluster, and succeeds when doing against the active node.

So, when I'm using setup.exe to do the edition upgrade, how do I tell the wizard to run it locally?

Additional note: The help in setup mentions explicitly that Advisor has to be installed locally to scan SSRS. I do have it installed locally, that's what I ran for the manual scan.

• When you are going from Standard edition to Enterprise you are adding features so I think you can upgrade and check the features compare list for new features you can use after the upgrade. In SSRS like data driven subscription, check below for 2005 features compare.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2005/en/us/compare-features.aspx

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Data-driven subscription is my reason for the upgrade. All other components are already at enterprise, and when I went to start using SSRS on the cluster I was unpleasantly surprised to see that SSRS is standard. The DBA before me that did the edition upgrade seems to have skipped SSRS. And that brings me to where I am today, blocked by the advisor.

• That may be related to the fact that SSRS is not cluster aware so here is the doc of making changes to SSRS in a cluster.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191545(SQL.90).aspx

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply