Setup, shared features directory cannot be changed, no existing instance on machine

• Hi,

I’m installing new default instance of SQL Server 2008 x64 on Windows Server 2003 x64 (new server) for the first time, and when I change the Shared feature directory (x86) from

C:\Program Files(x86) to D:\Micosoft SQL Server. But I’m getting the below error:

The INSTANCESHAREDDIR command line value was not specified. This value must be specified when the INSTANCESHAREDWOWDIR value is specified.

I even tried to change the Shared feature directory to D:\Micosoft SQL Server and getting same error

And Then I tried changing both Shared feature directory (x86) & Shared feature directory to D:\Micosoft SQL Server, then also it's giving me the same error.

Question:

According to the BOL link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143547.aspx , we can change this directory from default.

But it's NOT allowing me to change. Is that possible to change or NOT? Please advice.

Please see the attachment

• Could you plz advice me. Thanks

• this is a known bug with the 64bit install GUI. google that error you will find a number of posts on it.

your options are -

1) leave shared directories to default (favorite)

2) manually create folder D:\Micosoft SQL Server (x86) - you must have separate shared directories for the 64 and 32bit components, and then specify that directory

3) kick off the install from the command line specifying the shared directories you want

I believe you can also get round it by slipstreaming SP1 into the install media, but thats getting complex.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• But BOL says that you can configure the directory for Shared features for the first installation of SQL Server 2008 and you can not change it for the 2nd instance and following instances

But mine is the first SQL Server 2008 instance on the newly built server

Is this true that we can not change the directory for Shared features for the first installation of SQL Server 2008 too?

Thanks

• not through the GUI install. Its a bug.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• even i faced the same problem but mine OS was win 2008 r2. what i did was cancel the current installation process and restart it and it worked.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply