Shared Data Sources Are Losing Their Credentials

• I am using SQL 2005 SP3. I have a BIDS Report Server Project created with about 35 reports. There are about 15 Shared Data Sources that I have created that use login/password credentials. Lately it seems that whenever the Windows 2003 Server SP2 that hosts our SQL Server gets rebooted, all of the credentials in the Shared Data Sources get wiped out and I have to reenter them. I am checking the box that says: Save Password.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as this is getting to be tedious.

-Kim

• There's an option for deployment that overwrites the datasource which blows away the stored credentials, but I have not heard of it happening on a reboot....are any new deployments happening on the project?

"Project Properties" "Overwritedatasource"

• Actually this is a known issue Microsoft says it is not a bug so the only thing I know is add it back at the connection property.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• The OverWriteDataSource property is set to True as it has been for over a year and I have not had to reenter and save the credentials. This I believe just started happening after I installed Service Pack 3. I really don't want to uninstall it, if it isn't the culprit.

• It is not related to service pack 3 because I was having this problem with SP2 so it is just a known issue. All I know you have to add it again because it is the connection property dropping it.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Hi,

I had the same problem in 2005 and now in 2008 as well. The thing is, we have over 200 datasources and I can't re-enter them every single time. The funny thing is, they seem to lose the credentials if you just restart the SQL server service.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Jacques Rossouw (2/11/2010)

Hi,

I had the same problem in 2005 and now in 2008 as well. The thing is, we have over 200 datasources and I can't re-enter them every single time. The funny thing is, they seem to lose the credentials if you just restart the SQL server service.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

200 datasources means there was no design of your reports so you need to do some work to reduce your number of datasources. I know you can run more than 100 reports from one shared datasource.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Kim, I don't know if this is any use to you, but I just found the same thing happening to me. I was able to reproduce the problem whenever I opened a report solution - a solution stored and created on a server - whenever I opened the solution using BIDS from my workstation.

If I save while working on the server and re-open the solution from the server, no problem. There's something about opening a server-stored solution from my workstation that causes the stored credentials to be lost.

HTH,

Rich

• If I save while working on the server and re-open the solution from the server, no problem. There's something about opening a server-stored solution from my workstation that causes the stored credentials to be lost.

Where the solution is stored is not relevant in my situation however both solutions uses source control, VSS and Vault.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• You might try this tool, RSScripter. http://www.sqldbatips.com/showarticle.asp?ID=62 It is a great way to transfer reports from one server to another, but it will also script out data sources. It might be worth looking at to see if it could help.

• Well, I work directly on the Server where the report projects are stored, so it is not a case of working on a different system.

• Kim P (5/26/2010)

Well, I work directly on the Server where the report projects are stored, so it is not a case of working on a different system.

When I am developing everything is local and I have to add permissions more than five times a day. This is a known issue since SSRS 2005 SP2.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gift Peddie,

What is VSS?

• Gav B (5/27/2010)

Gift Peddie,

What is VSS?

VSS is Visual Source Safe the Microsoft source control before TFS(Team Foundation Server) was created.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I have had the same issue where by I'm editing locally, then publishing to the server and the reports on the server are always fine but locally it does not save the credentials after resetting my machine.

Basically as soon as you click OK on the 'Shared Data Source' properties it stores whatever it says in the 'Connection String' box to the .rds file, wherever that is stored locally, and that does not include the credentials.

Quite where the credentials actually are saved in what seems like some sort of temporary session I do not know.

The two solutions I have come up with are:

1) Do not reset/turn off your local workstation PC all week.

2) Edit the .rds shared data source files manually in notepad to include the username (and password??) and then never look at them in Visual Studio.

#2 may not work with a password, I haven't tried that as we have a view only data source with a user name and blank password.

The guy who had 200 data sources... There's surely something wrong in your company there on some level?!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply