Should I be re-orging and re-indexing?

• We have a product that has very specific setup requirements.  For one, they say we can't have Auto Update nor Auto Create statistics enabled.

So, each night I'm running an Optimization process that scans through 80% of the data to update the statistics.

Now, if the primary key for the data is clustered and is a sequential INT and doesn't get updated or deleted, doing a re-org or re-index really won't help, right?  And, even if the data gets fragmented, having the stats updated should help lessen the impact of that issue, right?

Ultimatley we'll be talking to the software vendor about some problems that we are having and will ask them what they recommend, but I just want to know if I'm on the right track or not...

Thanks!

• Tables with sequential keys can still become fragmented.

If you have the window I'd always rebuild indexes and updates stats each night. If this is tricky then you need selective index rebuilds based upon fragmentation, I'd always update the stats - especially with the auto turned off.

I don't see too much probs with auto update stats turned off - you might not want an update stats firing off at an inconvenient time

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply