shutdown

• Guys,

I am having to learn the Windows admin side of the world and am incredibly ignorant.  My boss used

shutdown -f -s -m \\server

halt

What are these commands?  Where can I find out more about them?  These aren't anything directly to do with Sql Server, right?

• i believe shutdown is from the Resource Kit for Windows.  check http://www.microsoft.com/downloads

• I am not sure if it was in the Resource Kit or Support Tools or AdminPack all 3 are available as Martin says at Downloads page on Microsoft website. The syntax is shown when you run commandname /? from command prompt:

C:\>shutdown /?

Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx] [-c "c

omment"] [-d up:xx:yy]

No args                 Display this message (same as -?)

-i                      Display GUI interface, must be the first option

-l                      Log off (cannot be used with -m option)

-s                      Shutdown the computer

-r                      Shutdown and restart the computer

-a                      Abort a system shutdown

-m \\computername       Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort

-t xx                   Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds

-c "comment"            Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)

-f                      Forces running applications to close without war

ning

-d [p]:xx:yy         The reason code for the shutdown

u is the user code

p is a planned shutdown code

xx is the major reason code (positive integer le

ss than 256)

yy is the minor reason code (positive integer le

ss than 65536)

H:\>

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• We administer our SQL Servers from what we call our 'Admin Server'.  This has various client tools installed, including EM, SSMS, etc. 

It also has shutdown.exe, which allows us to reboot our SQL boxes without having to be logged on to them.  However, to do a remote reboot you need 2 Windows rights: 'Shutdown the system' and 'Force shutdown from a remote system'.  At our shop, these rights are implemented and enforced using GPOs.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply