side by side upgrade of transactional replication databases

• Guys,

we are planning to do a side by side upgrade of a prod server. We have a transactional replication running on that server. Its a pull subscription and this server is a subscriber.

we are planning to setup replication on the new server and take down the old server after everything works fine.

But it creates more problems as the snapshot folder location exists on the old server. Is there any other way to do this in a simple manner?

• There's some missing information here at the moment.

Will you have a service outage to accomodate this?

Is the publisher its own distributor?

What is your snapshot problem as you can change the folder when you recreate on the new server?

This is what I do for my publisher migrations as I do several per year.

Prep.

Script everything!

Implement

1. Configure new server for replication (distribution if necessary)

2. Logship published database to new server

3. Drop subscriptions from existing publisher.

4. Drop articles from publication

5. Drop publication from publisher

6. Take new transaction log backup and restore on new server with recovery

7. Create publication on new server

8. Add subscripitions to publication with @sync_type = 'none'

Using @sync_type = 'none' you can initialise replication without a snapshot and replication will assume all data and objects already exist at the subscriber. This can be finicky when it comes to the replication procs so I always generate this manually "just in case" I get object not found. You can do this with sp_scriptpublicationcustomprocs 'publicationname'

@sync_type = 'none' is deprecated but its replacement doesnt do what I want it to do so I will continue to use it until it disappears. 🙂

• we will have a service outage.

publisher is not the distributor. subscriber is the distributor.

I am working on the same publications i.e., central publisher multi subscriber.

I want to keep the replication alive on the first server and then add second server as one more subscriber.

so 1 publisher -2 subscribers. Will keep this running for a week and then will pull down replication on old server.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply