Simulate the Alwayson AG database?

• Hi

I want simulate and testing the following failure scenario in Alwayson Group.

1.Shutdown Primary Node 1 & 2 and including FSW,

a. In this cause what will be cluster state in DR node site ? can we start force quorum in DR node for starting cluster service?

b.SQL 2012 AG database resolving state? So I will start the database to bring online by using as below command.

ALTER DATABASE database_name SET HADR OFF

RESTORE DATABASE database_name WITH RECOVERY

Please suggest me the above steps correct or not if I am wrong directions?

2. Once testing is completed in DR site node after that will start primary site nodes 1 & 2 and including FSW, so what will be status of my cluster setup, will it be as it is existing setting cluster and SQL AG database?

Thanks

• SQL Galaxy (2/17/2016)

Hi

I want simulate and testing the following failure scenario in Alwayson Group.

1.Shutdown Primary Node 1 & 2 and including FSW,

a. In this cause what will be cluster state in DR node site ? can we start force quorum in DR node for starting cluster service?

b.SQL 2012 AG database resolving state? So I will start the database to bring online by using as below command.

ALTER DATABASE database_name SET HADR OFF

RESTORE DATABASE database_name WITH RECOVERY

Please suggest me the above steps correct or not if I am wrong directions?

2. Once testing is completed in DR site node after that will start primary site nodes 1 & 2 and including FSW, so what will be status of my cluster setup, will it be as it is existing setting cluster and SQL AG database?

Thanks

You're rushing ahead, you don't mention any detail of whether the sessions are synchronous or asynchronous, or whether autofailover is enabled.

Strongly recommend you refer to my Stairway series on the site starting at this link

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hi Perry thank you..

Let me explain my current multi subnet failover cluster setup..

1. sessions are synchronous mode (both local site 2 Nodes and DR site 1 Node - AG databases)

All AG database synchronous mode including DR AG database due to very less transaction as well as this is POC setup.

2. Local site Two Node configured autofailover is enabled and third Node manual failover.

I have configured FSW setting at DR site side. Due to we have safe and cluster quorum protection minimum two nodes. Before testing FSW was in local site, so we lost total 3 vote if local site down.

All the three nodes and FSW are same domain with different subnet network.

I need to start manual start force quorum witness at DR node if local sites 2 Nodes and FSW configured local site.

Testing working as expected as follows

1. shutdown all 2 nodes in local site.

2. DR node SQL availability group is resolving state ( so I bring online AG by manual failover steps)

3. AG database not synchronies state also client got connected to AG listener name with DR IPs also cluster running with DR IPs.

4. Failback and switch on local two Nodes AG database start synchronies as well as DR AG database automatically due to all 3 availability group database synchronies ( I need interact to resume data movement if database not synchronies and AG database is asynchronies mode setup).

Now all 3 Nodes up & running including FSW.. (DR Node is now Primary role).

Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply