Situation on Static IP Based SQL Server

• I need to expose my SQL Server 2000 in the internet so that our small stores can update their daily Income and Expenses.

Problem 1. Hoping to trick SQL Injectors i changed our port to 7829(not real value). It worked for a while but one day we could no longer open our SQL Server and we had to reinstall our OS and SQL to have it up again. What must I do to prevent this from happening again. Using Zone Alarm Pro Software.

Problem 2. Is is possible to change PORT 1434.

Problem 3. I want to open the SQL Server in our branch using the Enterprise manager for easier querying but SQL Server cant seem to find it, what needs to be done?

Problem 4. How do I make MSDE use TCP/IP Protocol?

Using Windows XP Pro, Zone Alarm Pro Software

• 1. A reinstall wasn't necessary. You missed something.

2. Yes, use the server network utility. Set it to another port. If you have a good firewall router, you may be able to limit access to the branch IPs, which would be a good idea or even use port redirection. Expose 50000 or something and direct that down to 1433 inside.

3. EM needs 443 or 445 as well.

4. Server Network Utility might work on MSDE.

• 1. Also consider using IPSEC policies to limit communications from the Internet to only the TCP port for SQL Server.

2. If you meant the SQL Server Listener service, no, it is not. If you mean the port SQL Server listens on, see Steve's reply. With the Listener, using IPSEC (and ZoneAlarm) you can block udp/1434 to Internet users.

3. You can set up trusted zones in ZoneAlarm for your internal IPs. Allow traffic to/from the trusted zone. See ZoneAlarm's docs on how to do this.

4. See Steve's reply.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks guys!!!

I always get the best answers here as to SQL Server Issues.

• You only need ports 443/445 if you are connecting using Named Pipes.

• Hi guys

don't confuse this is not a reply.

I am very new to this forum. Hope that my query will be answered. If I am not able to put up my query in clear manner please do reply to this post.

I want to setup a WAN for my SQL servers. I want to have a sQL Server at one Location with Static IP Address, and 2 more servers on different location. Each site will have it's own databases so that they can work independently. Those two servers data will be replicated to my central server whenever they require. I have a doubt in my mind wheter it is possible or not to access my central server which is having Static IP address through internet. And one more thing whether i will be able to administer those two servers from my central server. Here I want to use push subscription with remote agent activation. Please guide me. One thing will also be clear that that those two servers are not having any static IP and use to connect to internet either by Dial-Up or DSL.

I am thanking all of you in advance and please help me out.

• Manoj

You should start a new thread for this question since otherwise it will only be read by people who are watching the original topic.

John

• Thank John,

can you suggest me a thread name. I am going for 'Static IP Based SQL Server'

Manoj

• Manoj

That sounds OK.

John

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply