SLA Contracts

• It's probably time to get some of those things written into the SLA. I have never had data loss written into an SLA because data loss was not acceptable. It is good to have it in writing though.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• ChrisP-374390 (3/6/2011)

Cost the solutions, and they can then decide which of the data security scenarios they are prepared to fund. From an IT perspective I just love this mechanism - their system, their money, their decision. We serve to research, advise and implement.

This is the direction IT needs to be heading. We've fought the "big brother" stigma for too long. By placing our customer in the center of the decision-making process, we're not only shedding that stigma -- we're creating an advocate.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/4/2011)

Synchronous mirroring is the only way I see to guarantee no data loss at all, and that requires Enterprise Edition, which not everyone has.

Standard edition. It's Async that's Enterprise only (figure out that logic...)

Even Synchronous mirroring isn't going to absolutely guarantee 0 data loss in all cases. It's not going to help when someone accidentally drops a table. Depending where the mirror is, it may not help in the case of a disaster. If the mirror is in the same building and a meteor falls on the building, mirroring is not going to help.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply