Slow Connection using ADO when Service hangs

• We have a SQL Server that we use for the test Enviorment. I am using VB 6.0 with ADO 2.7 to connect to this SQL Server 2000 instance. Ocassionally the Service hangs and during this time, the connection takes for ever to throw an Exception. Sometimes as long as 15-20 minutes and during this time, I am not able to enter the break mode too. We have also seen the same case when the Service has been stopped. The database connection does not Timeout, instead waits for a very long time before throwing an exception. Has anyone seen this issue before. If you need any other information then please let me know.

As far as I am aware, SQL Server and the client apps should be fully patched as they are closely monitored by MS. But this thing is really getting on my nerves. I will also escalate to MS and will post if I have more information on this.

Best Regards,

Trevor Benedict R
    Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

• I've not seen this behaviour. Probably obvious but, while I assume that you have the timeout property set on the Connection object in VB, as a workaround, what about the Command object? Just a thought :-).

• The unresponsive behaviour is while opening the connection. Ironically this happens only when the SQL Server Service takes a very very long time to Shut Down. If the Service is manually stopped and if it responds normally, we see a General Network Error. Which is perfectly acceptable. But what we are seeing is that the Service is shutting down, but the Open Method of the ADO.Connection object does not timeout till the Service has sucessfully stopped. After the Service has stopped (sometimes 15-20 min), we get a Invalid Password/Database name. This behaviour is not acceptable and there should be some answers.

Couple of scenarios where the Service hung were during low diskspace, there were too many files (50,000+) in one particular folder that was being deleted. another time was when the Admin was running a Virus scanner on the Server. During these times the Service did not shutdown gracefully.

Any thoughts.

Best Regards,

Trevor Benedict R
    Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply