Slow Performance on queries agains "real-time" tables

• Environment SQL 2005/64bit 8 processors / 32gig of memory

The two main datatables are Order_Header (300K Rows approx.) and Order_Details (1M Rows Appox).

Each table has about 30 columns.

The SISS process updates/adds to the header and details table about 5000 rows every 30 seconds.

I have a web application that queries a join between these two tables. Performance is slow. From 4 seconds to return 1200 rows to 15 seconds. I created views of the two tables so I could "fake" a primary and foreign key between the two (header and details)

I tried to create indexes on the tables, but due to the constant updating the indexes seem to do more harm then good.

Any recommendation on where I should be looking to get better performance? SQL query, indexes on views?

Thanks in advance.

• teekay (10/23/2008)

The SISS process updates/adds to the header and details table about 5000 rows every 30 seconds.

How much time does this import take every 30 seconds?

Please give us the details of the table definitions and the file & disk structure. It seems to me that adding 160+ rows a second on a live production system is going to be a challenge.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply